BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question but, is anyone planning on doing any winter driving in their M5. I'm aiming this question more to the people that live in areas with lots of snow in the winter. I've resolved to park mine in the garage over the winter which can last a good 5 months in Montreal. I'm only getting it mid-November, so that'll give me a month at most before I have to park it, and I'll probably be able to take it out again end of March early April. My main concern is all the crap they put down on the roads, salt and gravel I don't want it ruining the body in any way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
vinid_1 said:
This might be a stupid question but, is anyone planning on doing any winter driving in their M5. I'm aiming this question more to the people that live in areas with lots of snow in the winter. I've resolved to park mine in the garage over the winter which can last a good 5 months in Montreal. I'm only getting it mid-November, so that'll give me a month at most before I have to park it, and I'll probably be able to take it out again end of March early April. My main concern is all the crap they put down on the roads, salt and gravel I don't want it ruining the body in any way.
Living in Zurich has it's snowy days, probably not as in Montreal but still. I have alway driven my M3 and will do the same with the M5. I didn't notice that the salt and gravel damaged the car to a notable extent. Good winter tires are more important! :flag:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Yes, good winter wheels & tyres are essential and I shall be getting some as soon as it gets cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
My 545i 6sp does just fine in the snow with all-season tires. The DTC, DSP works great. On really bad days, a couple sandbags in the trunk help. With Blizzaks or another top-notch winter tire the M5 should be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
I'm planning to drive mine all year 'round just like my M3. I get it detailed at least once a week so I don't worry too much about the stuff they put on the roads during the winter. I would obviously also use the winter wheel/tire package offered by BMW for the M5.

Best regards,
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,698 Posts
I think it depends on how you look at the M5. super 5 series daily driver; or incredible high tech toy for the nice weather. If its the former then you need snow tires- and be sure to wash it every few weeks. If its the later then I suggest a battery tender (available from the local dealer) and if its going to sit for more than 5-6 weeks at a time I would inflate the tires to within 5psi of their max pressure. When its time to drive her, bring the psi back down to spec, factoring for the outside temps- and when you do drive it, be aware that the tires will not want to grip the cold roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Why would you want to park such a fantastic car for the winter, when all you need is a good set of winter wheels. I've used Dunlop winter sport M2s, and they worked great.

Since were on the thread, does anybody know what minimum size of wheel will work, 17", 18"?

JDS M5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
The M5 E60 in winter

Looking for advice on how the m5 can be made into a practical car for wintry conditions; I know in one of the forums someone mentioned the use of winter tires; I currently have an x5 and an M3 convertible and am faced with the hard choice of getting rid of one of the cars when my m5 arrives; currently the x5 is the one we are thinking of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Not sure why one would need wheels as the standard wheels fit 19inch tires in the us, so presumably 19inch winter tires should be sufficient or am I missing the point
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
riaz said:
Not sure why one would need wheels as the standard wheels fit 19inch tires in the us, so presumably 19inch winter tires should be sufficient or am I missing the point

You want to put as narrow a snow tire on the car as is feasible, and also a higher profile if possible. The snows available in 19" are 255/40-19. I'd think that you'd want somewthing narrower, especially for the fronts. That's why people go to the smaller & narrower rims: tire choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
riaz said:
Not sure why one would need wheels as the standard wheels fit 19inch tires in the us, so presumably 19inch winter tires should be sufficient or am I missing the point
You can get an inexpensive set of winter wheels one inch smaller that will fit narrower winter tires. Once mounted and balanced, changing from summer to winter is a snap, just swap out the wheel/tire combo's.

If you use the same wheels, you don't an optimum (minus one) setup for winter, and you have to schedule each time you want the tires dismounted/mounted and balanced. Depending on the cost in your area, a few dismount/mount/balance and install sessions can be close to the cost of a nice set of winter wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
Tried 10 different 18" wheels today for my winter setup.
Only one fitted! Rial 8x18 ( ugly).

Have to go for OEM or put winter tyres on the OEM 19".
Probably will be Pirelli Snowsport 240 in size 255/40-19 :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
cidair said:
Tried 10 different 18" wheels today for my winter setup.
Only one fitted! Rial 8x18 ( ugly).

Have to go for OEM or put winter tyres on the OEM 19".
Probably will be Pirelli Snowsport 240 in size 255/40-19 :2:
does the 18" M parallel rims comes with 535D sport fit?

personally, i think that looks much better than the default M5 winter rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
The OEM winter wheels as posted by Ashok look good, and at 18" it's probably the smallest diameter that will fit over the braking system.

I definitely plan to drive the M5 in the winter when I get it and here in northeastern U.S., driving in snow is a fact of life in winter. I've always had a separate set of snow tires mounted on wheels for the winter living in the U.S. and Canada so that'll be the same for the M5.

We've had good experiences with Bridgestone's Blizzak LM22s, had them on the M3, my wife's 328i, and now on the A8L. Not to mention my brother runs it on his MB AMG C32 and my folks had it on their 540i Touring. So we're big fans of the Blizzak.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top