BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could anyone tell me how to remove the covers on my e34 m5 mirrors so they can be painted
tony

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
If you have the early mirrors, (1988-1991?), the ones with the solid base, then you can`t. If you removed the glass, you`ll see that the front and back are press riveted together. Best bet is to cover the motor mechanism and paint as one unit. These remove easily as the wiring socket attachment is in the base.

If you have the later mirrors (1992-1994?) with the single, half height attachment (mirror supported by a single stalk at the bottom of the mirror), then once the glass is removed, you will see some screws which allow the unit to come to pieces. These have less painted area and more non-painted black/grey plastic. These are a pain to remove as the wiring attachment is down in the door near the electic window motors. You might consider disassembling in situ, then painting the unit while car not in use, then reassembly.

If you have the M3 style "M-Sport" mirrors then I have no idea. Please send me a set with mounting plates and I`ll take them to bits, photograph how I do it, paint them, then put them on my car and send you detailed instructions on how I did it. :)

"Old" Mirrors - 1988/1991 - Riveted together.

"Later" Mirrors - 1991-1993? Screwed together but not as much to paint as half the unit is grey-black plastic, not car coloured.

"M3 Style" Mirrors - M5 Motorsport mirrors fitted to the luckiest 1994/1995 cars. This guy is having fun! Turbines give this car away as likely being a 1989/1991 model 3.6 with replica M-Sport mirrors on it.

Hope this helps.

Ivan.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Bentley book says there is a hole at the bottom of the mirror into which you can stick a screwdriver. There is a thing called the "mirror glass locking ring". Pivot the screwdriver away from the door to unlock the glass.You can now pull off the glass and the heater mechanism. Disconnect it. You can now remove the glass.

When done, put it back in, stick the flatblade screwdriver back in then pivot it towards the door to lock the glass back.

Bentley book does not cover the 1995 M-Sport style mirrors, but I suspect the mechanism is similar.

Ivan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts