BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The E39 M5 is supposed to have a heated windshield washer system.

My question is, exactly what is heated and how do I tell if it's working?

My washer system (both normal and intensity) is working intermittently - fails to work early in the day and starts working later.

Can't be because of ambient temperature since it's been well below freezing here for days now.

Thanks

Jeff :cheers:

Reactions: Sparkster

·
Registered
489 Posts
When the car is running it heats the washer fluid that goes to your windshield and your headlights at the nozzles. You should be able to notice it if you turn the car on and let it warm up then spray the washer fluid onto an icy windshield. It usually works ok but it doesnt beat a scraper or deicer. It seems possible that if your car sits somewhere in the extreme cold that the system could have some trouble on early morning cold starts. I live in Atlanta and my M5 is always garaged so I dont have too much experience with this. Hope that little bit helps.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You might check your resevoir's to see if your mixture is freezing/slushy. I know this can happen as the heat from the engine bay will thaw it out after a little bit of driving.

KCD

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All: Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know what I find out. Jeff cherrsagai

·
10,455 Posts
Jeff, i thought it was the washer nozzles that are heated. THis is how it was on older bmw's at least. If you pull back the hood insulation, look at the washer nozzles to see if there are wires running to them.
Mike

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mottati said:
Jeff, i thought it was the washer nozzles that are heated. THis is how it was on older bmw's at least. If you pull back the hood insulation, look at the washer nozzles to see if there are wires running to them.
Mike
Mike. That's what I recall as well. I'll have a look. Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Guys

The nozzles are heated. Not the reservoir or lines. If you have ice or snow on the hood, take a look after the car has been running a while and you will see that the ice or snow has melted in a circular shape about an inch around the nozzles.

Most of those blue washer fluids from the grocery store/auto parts stores are good to -10 degrees F. They do sell some varieties that are good to -30. I mix my own and had too much "summer mix" in the reservoir and my system froze solid. Parked in a heated garage and defrosted system and pumped it up with concentrate. It works great now.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Interesting. I thought about this a few days ago when nothing came out of the nozzle. It seemed to be frozen. The temp outside was zero though. Hasn't happened since. Maybe there was more water in there than solvant...since my car came from Fla.??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just another thought guy's......

Be careful when 'mixing' washer fluids, different brands tend to cause 'snotty' goo to form at the bottom of the reservoir tank and block up the mesh filter that strains washer fluid before entering the pump assembly. hence washer pump makes noise nut very little emerges from washer jets. Try and use same brand at all times.
For the record, washer jets are heated when the exterior temp sensor reading hits pre set thresh hold ( don't know what it is exactly though).
Regards
Peter

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Most of those blue washer fluids from the grocery store/auto parts stores are good to -10 degrees F. They do sell some varieties that are good to -30. I mix my own and had too much "summer mix" in the reservoir and my system froze solid. Parked in a heated garage and defrosted system and pumped it up with concentrate. It works great now.
In California, it's hard to find fluids that go even that low. So I mix my own, using isopropyl alcohol. I think the ratio is something like 1 pt. per gallon, but do a Google search and you'll find the right mix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts