BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Giant Glass in North Andover, MA successfully replaced my windshield. The glass ended up being OEM BMW. The car was 5 yr old and had 70k miles on it. HUD, mirrors, rain/light sensors, etc., are all working great. Took about 3 hr to do. My MA car insurance covered it all; I did not pay anything.

A huge crack had formed bottom center of windshield during defrosting aftera snowstorm. The whole thing was pitted by that point anyway, so maybe a blessing.

J.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
hope your HUD is visible :blink:

that is if you have that option...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
d'oh!

·
Registered
582 Posts
im scared to see how much the windshield will cost if mine ever gets cracked :( have a feeling the rain sensors add a lot off $$$

·
Banned
194 Posts
im scared to see how much the windshield will cost if mine ever gets cracked :( have a feeling the rain sensors add a lot off $$$
WHY IF INSURANCE COVERS IT??? you do have insurance right???

·
Registered
641 Posts
I had to have the windshield on my 2006 M5 replaced (twice!!). It had the HUD and I recall the windshield being in the $800 to $900 range plus a couple hundred for the install (but my memory's a bit hazzy since it was 3 or 4 years ago). It's not the rain sensor that adds to the cost, it's the HUD. The rain sensor module is part of the rear view mirror. For the HUD there is a special "screen" embedded in the windshield to reflect the image.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The cost is for a windshield with a HUD is very high. I have an '07 X5 with a HUD and the insurance covered it but they were charged $1600. Having glass coverage on your insurance is a must here in the denver area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts