BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving today when something hit my windshield. Luckily it hit low on the glass and the chip isnt visible from the driving position. I inspected it and it seems like a small divot was taken out of the glass. There doesn't seem to be a crack anywhere. Do you guys have any experiance with this? Are there any options as far as preventative maintence goes to keep it from getting worse or am I just going to need to get a new windshield?

2001 Carbon Black/Black M5
Dinan carbon fiber CAI
Dinan software
Dinan exhaust
UUC Short Shift

1997 328is

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
If it's not cracked now, maybe it won't. I don't think there is anything you can do for it now. There are some repair compounds that are used to fill cracks to prevent them from spreading but I don't know if they work on craters like you describe. The windshield is fairly soft and gets pitted easily so in a few years you'll probably want a new one anyway. If/when you get one installed, be sure they follow the correct procedure for installing the new one or else you'll end up with wind noise that wasn't there before. I didn't know about this until after I got my new one installed (had a crack) and it was too late. Do a search on this board and you should be able to find the bulletin that describes the procedure and tools needed (some plastic blocks).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Vossen - I recently experienced nearly the identical thing...a large rock hit the lower right hand side of my windshield creating a 5mm divot in the glass. No cracking or spider-webbing fortunately, but this is something I would like to fix. Any word or advice on how to repair the existing windshield?? Any DIY solutions?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do not know about all auto insurance carriers in the US, but mine (USAA) offers a free repair of the "divot" performed by a qualified vendor. Must be done before the windshield starts cracking as this repair is supposed to help prevent cracks from forming. Assuming you have a low deductible and would file a calim, my guess is the insurance company offers this to save money. The spot cannot be in the line of sight as the material used to fill the spot reflects sunlight and can cause vision problems when sunlight "hits" the windshield. Haven't had this done as my spot (not on my M5) was in the line of sight so they would not do it. There are similar repair kits available in auto parts stores - do not know if they work as well as the "professional" repair.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have used the kits sold in auto parts stores on several occasions. They basically work by injecting a cyanoacrylate type adhesive into the damaged area via a syringe which is held in place by a suction cup with a hole in the center. They have been effective for me in preventing the damage from worsening, but they don't really repair it. The divot is just as visible after the repair as it was before.

I have a couple of divots in my (new to me) 00 M5 windshield. I was thinking about picking up one of those kits to help this windshield last another year or so. As it is it's pretty pitted so I'll be replacing it as soon as I can't tolerate it any more.

Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts