BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the washer for the windshield doesn't work, but I do get the headlight washer!! So, that seems to rule out the pump.

And the intensive washer for the windshield works, so that seems to rule out the hose? (common hose?).

Is there some place there could be a blockage? I don't see any leaks when I hit the regular windshield washer, it is as if nothing is being pumped. WTF????
Regards,
Jerry

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I would start by putting a safety pin in each nozzle ... to clear out any residue. It does seem to build up, but I doubt both would go at the same time.

The rear washer on my 318ti also, doesn't work, even though the widshield washers do. I just haven't looked at it yet. I think it is clogged somewhere, 'cause it happened once before, but I was able to clear it that time. It was in the inside connection of the "transfer" tube between the car and the window. Crud build up (hard water, maybe).

I should do that soon.

Update: I am looking at the BMW parts list. (http://bmwfans.info/original/E39/Lim/M5-S62/USA/L/M/2003/05/mg-61/

Down near the bottom, it looks like there are two washer pumps. One for the windshield and one for the headlights (two different screens). Not sure though.

Also, (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&hg=61&fg=45). A little easier to see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two pumps for windshield and headlights... most likely cause is windshield wiper pump failure but could be other electrical causes as well. Relatively easy DIY... I'll try and post link I used when i recently did mine. Pump and container are behind passenger side front wheel well/liner

OK, the washer for the windshield doesn't work, but I do get the headlight washer!! So, that seems to rule out the pump.

And the intensive washer for the windshield works, so that seems to rule out the hose? (common hose?).

Is there some place there could be a blockage? I don't see any leaks when I hit the regular windshield washer, it is as if nothing is being pumped. WTF????
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two pumps for windshield and headlights... most likely cause is windshield wiper pump failure but could be other electrical causes as well. Relatively easy DIY... I'll try and post link I used when i recently did mine. Pump and container are behind passenger side front wheel well/liner
Thanks. I had assumed one pump for both headlight and windshield, but if each has a separate one, it would make sense either the pump failed or a bad connector to the pump.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would start by putting a safety pin in each nozzle ... to clear out any residue. It does seem to build up, but I doubt both would go at the same time.

The rear washer on my 318ti also, doesn't work, even though the widshield washers do. I just haven't looked at it yet. I think it is clogged somewhere, 'cause it happened once before, but I was able to clear it that time. It was in the inside connection of the "transfer" tube between the car and the window. Crud build up (hard water, maybe).

I should do that soon.

Update: I am looking at the BMW parts list. (http://bmwfans.info/original/E39/Lim/M5-S62/USA/L/M/2003/05/mg-61/

Down near the bottom, it looks like there are two washer pumps. One for the windshield and one for the headlights (two different screens). Not sure though.

Also, (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&hg=61&fg=45). A little easier to see.
OK, I see it now. Pretty good illustrations. How do I access the pump, take out the right front wheel liner?

I don't use water, only windshield washer fluid, so crud buildup is less likely. I can try the safety pin, nothing to lose and the cost is acceptable!!:thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
154 Posts
And the intensive washer for the windshield works,
Pardon my ignorance as I never use the windhield washer, but what is "the intensive washer". Are you saying there are two stages of windshield washing? How does it work?

BK

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
OK, I see it now. Pretty good illustrations. How do I access the pump, take out the right front wheel liner?

I don't use water, only windshield washer fluid, so crud buildup is less likely. I can try the safety pin, nothing to lose and the cost is acceptable!!:thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry
HA! I don't know, as I have never had to go looking.

If I recall correctly, the motor is accessable in the engine compartment. It is on one corner of the washer fluid bottle, but I think I just learned that that bottle is the intensive washer bottle (it has the red tag on it). Until a couple of hours ago, I thought we just had one resevoir for fluid, but that doesn't make sense any more. It makes sense that we have two resovoirs, and two motors. One regular fluid, and one intensive fluid. (Just checked my online manual and the bottle you can see in the engine compartment is the intensive cleaner.)

I learn something new everyday.

If you can follow the filler neck down, you might be able to find the regular bottle. I would GUESS that you have to take the belly pan off. I have had the black plastic right hand side under bumper liner out for replacement and I don't recall seeing it in there, although I could be wrong. The belly pan should be easy to remove.

Lots o' help, right ??? :cheers:

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Pardon my ignorance as I never use the windhield washer, but what is "the intensive washer". Are you saying there are two stages of windshield washing? How does it work?

BK
Yes, it's written up in the Owner's Manual. If you don't have a manual, download one from BMW NA.

Basically, you activate it with the switch (read the manual) or every 5th time you wash the windshield with the headlights on, it sprays intensive fluid.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HA! I don't know, as I have never had to go looking.

If I recall correctly, the motor is accessable in the engine compartment. It is on one corner of the washer fluid bottle, but I think I just learned that that bottle is the intensive washer bottle (it has the red tag on it). Until a couple of hours ago, I thought we just had one resevoir for fluid, but that doesn't make sense any more. It makes sense that we have two resovoirs, and two motors. One regular fluid, and one intensive fluid. (Just checked my online manual and the bottle you can see in the engine compartment is the intensive cleaner.)

I learn something new everyday.

If you can follow the filler neck down, you might be able to find the regular bottle. I would GUESS that you have to take the belly pan off. I have had the black plastic right hand side under bumper liner out for replacement and I don't recall seeing it in there, although I could be wrong. The belly pan should be easy to remove.

Lots o' help, right ??? :cheers:

I too am guessing the belly pan comes off to get access. The filler tube goes down and seems to curve towards the wheel well; I can't see the top of the reservior from the top of the car. The intensive wash bottle is right there with the pump easily accessible. Oh well.....

That is OK, the car is going in for its oil cooler upgrade shortly, :applause:I will take care of it at that time; I have the intensive wash as a backup, just need to stay after topping up the relatively small tank.
Regards,
Jerry

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I too am guessing the belly pan comes off to get access. The filler tube goes down and seems to curve towards the wheel well; I can't see the top of the reservior from the top of the car. The intensive wash bottle is right there with the pump easily accessible. Oh well.....

That is OK, the car is going in for its oil cooler upgrade shortly, :applause:I will take care of it at that time; I have the intensive wash as a backup, just need to stay after topping up the relatively small tank.
Regards,
Jerry
Cooler upgrade? Can you explain?

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cooler upgrade? Can you explain?
When it gets done, I will be glad to share!! Time is at a premium, but I have this and my space saver spare tire project going.

Underpromise and overperform!;):thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to bring up this old thread, but did you ever get this resolved?

I'm having the same issue. At first it was a cracked hose, I fixed this however, the problem continues. My headlamps get fluid at full pressure when you either press the S button on the wiper stalk or pull the stalk towards you. If I press the S button on my wiper stock my windshield jets fire at full pressure. If I pull the wiper stalk towards myself I get a very weak and futile stream of washer fluid onto my windshield. I can get the jets to fire full force if I open the hood though but once I drop the hood back down, the stream goes back to doing the weak streams. Is the pump dying??

Also, my old nozzle jets were all dry and cracked so I installed new ones back in September or October, there is no gunk built up or anything like that and I've repaired all the cracks in the hoses.

It just confuses me that it works on the S-Button but not the usual pull on the stalk, it was working fine up until a few days ago when I saw the hose cracked at the hood but now even after fixing that it's still not working right. Guess my washer pump is on it's way out or is developing some form of vehicular E.D. :D

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have got the exact same problem today on my way into work. I also had the same problem on my 2001 530i and that turned out to be a blocked filter in the reservoir. Fingers crossed it is something a bit more simple than that as I don't fancy taking bits of car apart today at work

cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have got the exact same problem today on my way into work. I also had the same problem on my 2001 530i and that turned out to be a blocked filter in the reservoir. Fingers crossed it is something a bit more simple than that as I don't fancy taking bits of car apart today at work

cheers
Well guess I'll be forced to put my car up on some jacks and remove that right front wheel and fender lining to figure this out, hopefully its something simple.

I know that there are two pumps, one for each reservoir, does the S button use the intensive cleaner reservoir and by pulling the wiper stalk we use the main reservoir? If that is the case then possibly my main reservoir's pump IS in fact dying or there is a leak on some grommet or what not as mentioned in other threads. Hopefully the original poster could chime in and let us know, that'd be a great help.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I would approach your problem a little differently.

Since you said that they work fine if the hood is open, and not when you close it ... and, since you have had other tubing that has gotten old already, I strongly suspect that the tubing is OLD, hence weak and easy to pinch closed (DUH).

It sounds like the underhood sound silencing material is pressing on the weak hoses between it and the metal hood when it is closed. The clearance between the top of the plenum (I think that is the proper term) and the hood is minimal, if not non existant. I would unscrew a few underhood fasteners and take a peak ... check the hoses for fatique and leakage ... check for wet underhood material (between the hood and the silencing material).

·
Registered
929 Posts
I noticed that the tubing under the hood lining becomes brittle with age (MY 2000). My washers didn't work last week at -7C and I assumed they were frozen. When I took the hood lining out I could see that the screenwash fluid was pumping out of cracks in the tubing. Replaced the tubing and good to go.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Mine had run out of fluid and the pipe had popped off again which was why I didn't get the tale tell spray coming out by the o/s/f wing!

cheers

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I noticed that the tubing under the hood lining becomes brittle with age (MY 2000). My washers didn't work last week at -7C and I assumed they were frozen. When I took the hood lining out I could see that the screenwash fluid was pumping out of cracks in the tubing. Replaced the tubing and good to go.
EXACTLY.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
When the rubber pipe falls off (multiple times ... I've had it happen on other cars), cut off 3/8" from the end. It works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've already replaced sections of the hose under the hood lining and the lining doesn't get wet. I also see no leaks when I opened and closed the hood and had my son sit inside the car and pull the wiper stalk for me. However, you are most likely correct that I should just open up the hoses and give em a look right down to the main reservoir.

Does anyone know what the cost of new washer hoses is? Do I have to get it from the dealership or could I order it online somewhere? I suppose it is time to just replace all the hose as most of it is very brittle, I assume this happens as when the car was new they used some sort of flammable fluid for the intensive reservoir. Well, that's what I found out from reading other posts on this problem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts