BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a rock on I-80 yesterday that put a large crack in my windshield. Immediately called my local stealer for a quote to replace it. When he called back is almost ran off the road. He told me a new one installed would be $805.00 plus tax!!!! Since it's the closest other dealer is in Vegas, I may be stuck. Any suggestions?? Help!!!!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Sorry to hear. Ask which glass company they use (the dealers here just call a glass company to perform the work), buy the parts yourself with a discount and have the glass company perform the work directly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
PCUT said:
Got a rock on I-80 yesterday that put a large crack in my windshield. Immediately called my local stealer for a quote to replace it. When he called back is almost ran off the road. He told me a new one installed would be $805.00 plus tax!!!! Since it's the closest other dealer is in Vegas, I may be stuck. Any suggestions?? Help!!!!!
Call your insurance company. What is your deductible on comprehensive? Also if you turn in the claim it will not raise your premiums. If you do so make sure you ask for oem glass.
Boz

·
Registered
105 Posts
Boz M5 said:
Call your insurance company. What is your deductible on comprehensive? Also if you turn in the claim it will not raise your premiums. If you do so make sure you ask for oem glass.
Boz
Mine just went as well, $1060 here in Seattle,incl install.
Insurance covers it on my policy. A word of caution. Years ago, wth my Audi V8, I had the winshield changed, and the shop used a copy, not an Audi part, and it looked like it was for a different car, no match in profile anywhere, and the shop said it was the correct model. I insisted they put in the Audi part, which fit perfectly.
Make sure you get a BMW winshield, not a "replacement" brand

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plot gets thicker and thicker!I talked today with my State Farm agent (who has all four cars, several business and our houses all under SF policies) who tells me that I have to go through their program called Links. I call Links who informs me that I can get two bids and that SF will pay the lesser of them. I explained that BMW had some special tools etc and that I wanted BMW to do the work and was informed that I had no choice other than to pay the difference between the lowest bid and the BMW price. Any insurance agents out there that can help and would like to give me a quote for all the insurance I currently have with State Farm? (Note that my only claim with State Farm in the last 10 years was when my old M3 got keyed and had to be repainted, so I'm not exactly a big risk.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why not get two bids from two BMW dealers? They you're happy and they're happy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
PCUT said:
The plot gets thicker and thicker!I talked today with my State Farm agent (who has all four cars, several business and our houses all under SF policies) who tells me that I have to go through their program called Links. I call Links who informs me that I can get two bids and that SF will pay the lesser of them. I explained that BMW had some special tools etc and that I wanted BMW to do the work and was informed that I had no choice other than to pay the difference between the lowest bid and the BMW price. Any insurance agents out there that can help and would like to give me a quote for all the insurance I currently have with State Farm? (Note that my only claim with State Farm in the last 10 years was when my old M3 got keyed and had to be repainted, so I'm not exactly a big risk.)
Call two glass shops in town to get a quote. Tell them you want factory OEM glass not after market glass. Then give that to links. They have to give you oem. They lost a huge law suit a while back over this.
Boz
(Ive been a Farmers Agent 29 yrs) ooh that makes me pretty old 51 next month

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boz; There are two issues here. I understand the OEM issue. The other issue is that SF will only pay $100.00 in labor to install. When I called one of my old college buddies who has a glass business, he admitted that they never looked at the TSI on installing M5 windshields and also that he had never heard of the two tools BMW uses, nor the pre-tensioning that BMW does when they install. In short, there additional procedures that BMW uses that your typical installer has no clue about. I figure that since SF charges me a pretty hefty premium for my car that they should pay the premium repair charges. Not sure how prevalent this "policy" is or how long it's been going on, but as a recovering attorney, I think somebody should as SF if they can say "CLASS ACTION"?
Boz M5 said:
Call two glass shops in town to get a quote. Tell them you want factory OEM glass not after market glass. Then give that to links. They have to give you oem. They lost a huge law suit a while back over this.
Boz
(Ive been a Farmers Agent 29 yrs) ooh that makes me pretty old 51 next month

·
Registered
159 Posts
PCUT said:
Boz; There are two issues here. I understand the OEM issue. The other issue is that SF will only pay $100.00 in labor to install. When I called one of my old college buddies who has a glass business, he admitted that they never looked at the TSI on installing M5 windshields and also that he had never heard of the two tools BMW uses, nor the pre-tensioning that BMW does when they install. In short, there additional procedures that BMW uses that your typical installer has no clue about. I figure that since SF charges me a pretty hefty premium for my car that they should pay the premium repair charges. Not sure how prevalent this "policy" is or how long it's been going on, but as a recovering attorney, I think somebody should as SF if they can say "CLASS ACTION"?
I agree
Boz

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had mine replaced (in the M5 which I no longer have) in fall of 2003 at Henderson Glass in Michigan for $493.79 with rainsensor. The glass, rainsensor and seal (I believe) were $428.10, labor $40.00, +tax. My inital quote from the dealer was as I recall about $1000.00. I did shop a few local glass places and this is what I ended with.

The window was perfect, the workmanship great and I never had a problem.

Good luck !

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Two comments:

You should be able to get a quote from someone for pretty much whatever number you need- be nice or fess up and plead or give the guy $10... You could also get the estimate from the other dealer 7 hours away, if it is lower convince the close BMW dealer to do it for that number.

SF can't decide what they will cover for labor unless your insurance contract limits it. Screw their 'links policy', they insure you for your loss and if your loss takes 3 hours per Manufacturers procedure that's what they pay.

Second comment. I had a windshield done 9 years ago. Last year I had it redone. When they took it apart they found rust damage. They said it was due to improper removal of the old windshield. I had them put it in writing then filed a claim with the insurance company to repair the rust and repaint. AAA. They had 'guaranteed repairs for as long as you own the car'. They were pretty dam*ed surprised with an 8yr old claim. ..but it was covered.

Moral is, make sure qualified people touch the car- just becasue it looks ok doesn't mean they did it right....

A

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I took a golf ball in the windshield while I was on the freeway about 2 years ago. An independent (recommended by my State Farm agent) replaced it. The whole job was only about $450. The glass was not the OEM glass, but it has been 95% satisfactory. My only complaint is that it changed the sensitivity of the rain-sensing wipers slightly, they don't work quite as well as they used to but they still work. My guess is there is a calibration procedure somewhere to adjust the thing, but it obviously hasn't been a big enough issue for me to pursue that. (On the other hand, if anyone knows....)

/GH

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
As everyone stated, "OEM" and "Insurance". I had a glass company replace the windshield on one of my other cars and it got sandblasted immediately. It's cheap glass.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Joining in late, but just had mine done recently through a local glass shop. Cost me $499.xx out of pocket (my deductible is $500, so it would have been a waste to file). This is with OEM glass and seal.

I do think I'm getting a little more wind noise than before, but could be my imagination. I watched them do the job and the amount of glue they used was insane - very thick bead all around, so I can't see how any wind could possibly be getting in....

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
so I can't see how any wind could possibly be getting in....
It's not your imagination and NOT a leak, but the wrong spacing creating turbulence. It is ESSENTIAL that the TSB for installing windshields on e39s be followed to the letter. I had mine replaced a year or two ago before I knew about the proper procedure. By the time I found out, I felt it was too late to go back and complain. The wind noise is noticeable, compared to stock, when it was practically dead silent in even a strong wind before. Since it was even noisier for a week or two until I got it fixed, I just thought I was imagining things at first. Anyway, the proper procedure is to use special spacer blocks and applying tension to the windshield upon installation. Do a search and you should find it on this board.

As for BMW vs. glass shop, most dealers just sub this out to a glass shop anyway, so I wouldn't insist on the dealer doing the repair. I would find out who has done e39s before the RIGHT way, and go there for your estimate and repair.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ever serve in the military????? Or did your father??? If you did then you are eligible for USAA auto,life,homeowners. One of the best companies out there, period. They run a tight ship with homeowners policies, but the car insurances is to die for!!! I have been with them for 23 years and they are awesome!! The "beast" cost me $615 a year with a $100 collision and $200 comprehensive. Anyway, just a thought. :flag:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Finally got it done at a local glass shop that is used by a local dealer. They are experienced in BMW, had 3 in the shop when I dropped the car off, and did an excellent job with all BMW parts.
No wind noise so far (at least not at 120) . Total cost $621, ins. covered all but $100.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Need4Spd said:
It's not your imagination and NOT a leak, but the wrong spacing creating turbulence. It is ESSENTIAL that the TSB for installing windshields on e39s be followed to the letter. I had mine replaced a year or two ago before I knew about the proper procedure. By the time I found out, I felt it was too late to go back and complain. The wind noise is noticeable, compared to stock, when it was practically dead silent in even a strong wind before. Since it was even noisier for a week or two until I got it fixed, I just thought I was imagining things at first. Anyway, the proper procedure is to use special spacer blocks and applying tension to the windshield upon installation. Do a search and you should find it on this board.

As for BMW vs. glass shop, most dealers just sub this out to a glass shop anyway, so I wouldn't insist on the dealer doing the repair. I would find out who has done e39s before the RIGHT way, and go there for your estimate and repair.
Thank you for that reply. I searched but could not find the TSB. Any ideas?

I have them coming back out on Friday to look at it with me and would like to have the bulletin ready.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Is there any difference between the M5 windshield and the one on regular E39s? Both cars side by side, I never noticed a difference. When I returned my 530 (with rain sensor) it was $600 to replace the windshield due to a d***ed little chip! Have the exact same thing in the M5, they didn't say there is a price difference when I mentioned it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts