BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M5's windcreen just deveioped a crack, I believe a stone got wedged between the windscreen and the little panel that comes down all the way from the roof, obviously at speed, giving it the necessary momentum to cause a deep chip. It then started cracking, all during the same journey, the line was getting bigger before my eyes.
I guess if the stone did not wedge there, the damage would have been smaller as it could have just scraped through. Another design fault??

Anyway, when I last changed my windscreen on my E60, I went for a non-BMW one that Autoglass fit as standard. All sensors worked fine albeit I did not have the car very long afterwards before I switched to the F10 so not sure how it would have survived the elements.

Any thoughts on whether to fit a BMW original windscreen and if Autoglass is the (only/best) way to go (via insurance).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I had to replace mine after it cracked. I used Autoglass through my insurance company, I insisted they replaced it with a BMW screen which they did without argument. I was a little worried as I've had bad experiences with autoglass and others before but I have to say the guy who fitted mine was great.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Autoglass were great when they changed the windscreen on my e60 although they had to break a couple of plasticky bits while taking the old one away and then had no spare parts to replace the broken bitsonce they replaced the windscreen. I had to chase them for a couple of weeks to send someone over to put the parts back in.
In terms of cost, I think it was some £50 more for an original BMW one, so £70 vs. £120.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Had my screen replaced with an original one, as the car was less than a year old at the time. Apparently it can get more tricky getting a BMW screen authorised if the car is over a year old.

The eventual installation was fine - although 3 failed attempts to install the wrong screen proceeded it.

Then there was the issue with getting the Kafkas camera re-calibrated. AG stated it was not needed. BMW said it was. Fast fwd through a few months of piggy in the middle and eventually AG agreed to pay for the re-calibrtaion which BMW duly did.

Make sure when you get your glass done - they add the re-calibration to the cost of the job - It was about £60 and has to be done at BMW.

After such a song and dance - AG waived my excess fee too.

Good luck!

Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is a Kafkas camera? Would my windscreen have that? Is that standard on these cars or only fitted to the ones with the Night vision option?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I guess it was an option. How about the Speed Limit checker, does it use the same camera?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I always have Autoglass fit a genuine BMW screen. They will do it, but you sometimes have to talk to the supervisor to get it authorised, as the call handlers are not always terribly well trained. You also have to wait a little longer for it. I always did it on the E39, and am on the phone to them for my F10 right this moment! :grin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rang Autoglass, they warned me immediately that the new windscreen will require calibration and that my insurer may charge me extra for that on top of the usual excess and the extra for the original.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Rang Autoglass, they warned me immediately that the new windscreen will require calibration and that my insurer may charge me extra for that on top of the usual excess and the extra for the original.
So the Autoglass screen requires no calibration, and the genuine one does? That doesn't make sense unless the Autoglass version lacks something...?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
So the Autoglass screen requires no calibration, and the genuine one does? That doesn't make sense unless the Autoglass version lacks something...?
More than likely BMW won't attempt to recalibrate the camera for non OE glass.

The recalibration costs no more than £60 @ BMW.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Dan,

I wasn't told about the re-calibration when my screen was replaced either.. A friend had his screen replaced in his M2 and was advised about the kafkas recalibration being required. So I called AG. They confirmed it was not needed on my car. They suggested I check with BMW. I did. BMW confirmed it was required. So lots of to-ing and fro-ing back and forth between AG and BMW. AG eventually conceded and agreed for BMW to pay for the calibration. I suggest you check with your dealer.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apols for the misleading comment, I think that both screens require calibration, albeit they mentioned it after my insistence on an original windscreen, I then asked them explicitly if both would require it and they confirmed - I am still waiting for a callback re: fitting an original windscreen, so no date set yet.
But at least AG knew about calibration firsthand based on the car reg, no need for VIN. Last time I did this with my E60 back in 2014, they required the VIN and even then did not know what sensors my car had or if it had a dark-(sun?-) strip running across the top of the windscreen.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Apols for the misleading comment, I think that both screens require calibration, albeit they mentioned it after my insistence on an original windscreen, I then asked them explicitly if both would require it and they confirmed - I am still waiting for a callback re: fitting an original windscreen, so no date set yet.
But at least AG knew about calibration firsthand based on the car reg, no need for VIN. Last time I did this with my E60 back in 2014, they required the VIN and even then did not know what sensors my car had or if it had a dark-(sun?-) strip running across the top of the windscreen.
Good stuff - sounds like they have updated their systems and the requirements for recalibration..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting development. Insurer has accepted my request for an OEM windscreen and won't charge me extra. As for calibration, apparently AG have the knowledge now to do it there and then without a need to go to the dealer's. how can that be?!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Interesting development. Insurer has accepted my request for an OEM windscreen and won't charge me extra. As for calibration, apparently AG have the knowledge now to do it there and then without a need to go to the dealer's. how can that be?!
I had a repair a couple of weeks back and asked the guy about it. He said it depended which van comes out to visit you, as the calibration 'device' is a large sheet of plastic. If a small van comes out, they make you drive back to the depot to have it done. If a large van comes out, you're ok. He couldn't clarify why they couldn't send a large van in the first place.... :|

1 - 20 of 21 Posts