BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the trick to getting the window switches to stay down/tucked into the leather? My front right switch and to a lesser extent my rear right won't stay down. Rear left is perfect. I tried making sure it didn't have any slack in the wiring pushing it up but that doesn't seem to help.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
Maybe try pushing the foam block underneath down a little?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I tried that as well as taking up all the slack in the wiring.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had this same problem on the front passenger side for many months. I tried bending the metal prongs outward but the switch would almost immediately rise up out of the leather. I was about to order a new switch so I figured what the heck, if you break the switch you are buying a new one anyway.
I tried the stiffest plastic pry tool I have to force the switch down deep into the door handle - that didn't work. Then I tried a metal round punch with a flat tip. I used the biggest one I have that would sit on the perimeter of the switch only (not the leather) and pushed with everything I had. Still didn't work. Frustrated, I pushed down as best I could, then gently hit the punch with a small hammer. Opposite corners at a time.
It worked! It's been several weeks and the switch hasn't come up out of the hole yet.
Good luck!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had this same problem on the front passenger side for many months. I tried bending the metal prongs outward but the switch would almost immediately rise up out of the leather. I was about to order a new switch so I figured what the heck, if you break the switch you are buying a new one anyway.
I tried the stiffest plastic pry tool I have to force the switch down deep into the door handle - that didn't work. Then I tried a metal round punch with a flat tip. I used the biggest one I have that would sit on the perimeter of the switch only (not the leather) and pushed with everything I had. Still didn't work. Frustrated, I pushed down as best I could, then gently hit the punch with a small hammer. Opposite corners at a time.
It worked! It's been several weeks and the switch hasn't come up out of the hole yet.
Good luck!
So you basically pressed down with one hand, then tapped the corners down one at a time with the other hand?

·
Registered
227 Posts
After bending the metal tabs outward, I pushed the switch down as deep in the hole as I could get it by hand. Next, I pushed the corners down a little further using the drift punch, again by hand. Then, I gave the punch a tap with a hammer on opposing corners. I thought for sure the switch would break but it didn't.
So far the switch has stayed down like it's supposed to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts