BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 BMW M5

I'll start off by telling you the events that led up to this problem. Washed the car in cold weather. Tried to open the passenger window and it didn't open. I pressed it only a couple times more and nothing so I stopped. Weather warmed up and the window is still not working. It goes down about half an inch then it sounds like it can't grip it or something. Now today I unlock the car and the passenger door lock doesn't pop up. Are these related? Is this common? What should I do? Please help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
2000 BMW M5

I'll start off by telling you the events that led up to this problem. Washed the car in cold weather. Tried to open the passenger window and it didn't open. I pressed it only a couple times more and nothing so I stopped. Weather warmed up and the window is still not working. It goes down about half an inch then it sounds like it can't grip it or something. Now today I unlock the car and the passenger door lock doesn't pop up. Are these related? Is this common? What should I do? Please help.
Is your battery fully charged? Do the other windows open? Do the rear door locks pop open and close? What happens when you use the trunk lock to open/close the locks?

Put the battery on a float charger overnight to ensure it is fully charged. It might be as simple as that. It's possible you just tipped your battery over the edge when you started the car to move it in order to wash it and the cold weather finally got to the battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is actually new. All of the other windows open fine as well as all of the other locks. When using the trunk, the same issue occurs with the door. It seems like it isn't even getting power. After more inspection the window problem seems to be the clips inside the door are broken as it will move the window up but not down. The door, i don't know. It won't even open manually or anything.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stuck door

First of all, try the emergency door open procedure:

1) from the passenger door turn the key to the unlock position.
2) while its there raise the door handle half-way upwards to the open position.
3) turn the key BEYOND the normal open position (it WILL go but will be stiff and you may have to fiddle with it. You just have to fiddle with it to reach the correct combination/timing of turning and lifting and it should open)
4) the lock button should start to rise up and the door will open.

This will work for the driver's door as well, by the way.

If that doesn't do it you will have to get inside the door panel to see what's going on. Take a look at these posts: The first is for the rear door but the idea is to get the door panel off with door closed.

HOW TO- Open a locked rear door with a ceased door actuator

E36 Power Door Lock Repair pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

The second is for an E36, but the principle is the same to deal with a failed regulator.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There isn't a key hole on the passenger side of an E39........
Oops, sorry-guess I need to update my rides!

However, just before attempting to remove the inside door panel, push hard on the passenger door while using/pulling the door handle to see if it will release.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your replies. As cocoa stated, the e39 m5 does not have a keyhole on the passenger side but awesome to know that procedure. I tried pushing hard on the door procedure and had no luck. It looks like I will have to open the door panel. This seems pretty hard to do with the door closed. If I take it to my mechanic how many hours of labor do you think this job is (removing panel, replacing actuator, and clips for window). Just so I know I'm not getting bent over.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Passenger front and you are going to be buying a new door panel. Passenger rear and you'll just be paying a bit of extra labor. Door panel removal shouldn't be more than 1 hour for the rear and should be less for the front (since they'll just be cutting a hole in it).

I don't know book time on regulator and the rest, so my only additional advice is to ensure that they apply new adhesive to re-seal the sound-deadening or you'll have puddles on your floor.

d-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts