BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, but I have a more specific question. Yesterday my window would not roll back up. So I removed the door panel and took a look. The cable was stuck behind the round plastic disc so I pulled out the cable, got it back in the track, and the window went back up.

Well I saw how the cable came off the track, the plastic is cracked on the disc/wheel. Can I replace just this part? Or is it part of the whole regulator/motor setup. Pic below.

I'm afraid to put my window down agian for feel of the cable skipping the track again.

PICture:

Attachments

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh crap... I guess I will try some JB weld first before spending $200+ for a whole new regulator.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Chances are the junkyard part is just going to break again.

Window regulators are a common problem on E46, E39, E53 (X5), etc.

Your best bet is to buck up for a new one and have it installed by a competent tech. I watched my girlfriend install an E53 X5 rear window regulator last weekend and it was not complicated, but there are multiple "tricks" which she utilized that come with having done it over and over again at work.

Reactions: jclyman

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the responces. After what Ben Careful said, I was reluctant to try it myself, but I got the part today from BMW locally and gave it a try.

Took only about 30 mins, this is actually a really easy item to replace. Looks hard, but not bad at all.

Thanks again for everyone's replies. It wasn't just the wheel at the bottom that was cracked, the cable part was also messed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts