BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the car, pushed the button to lower the rear windows, I heard a loud clank but I did not think much of it. When I got home, I noticed the window was all the way down and it did not go up or down when the buttons were pushed although I heard the motor go. Has anyone DIY'ed this?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
The guy was complaining about some of the weird plugs that you have to undo as you remove the door trim.
I did it soooo long ago, but I do remember the trim being somewhat goofy. I think I used my upholstery tools and wide shoe lace.

I was going to do a DIY for the Board, but it really was pretty quick, once the trim was removed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why the hell can't BMW get window regulators right? My beater E46 just had a rear window fail the same way.

Just be sure to re-secure the vapor seal properly. You don't want moisture problems.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just did my right rear window a couple weeks ago. It's one of those easy but tedious jobs that can get frustrating quick.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does look like that vapor seal may need total replacement

Why the hell can't BMW get window regulators right? My beater E46 just had a rear window fail the same way.

Just be sure to re-secure the vapor seal properly. You don't want moisture problems.
Its self adhesive so one pulled off, it probably loses some adhesion.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So, it seems that the top of the door panel won't get loose

I followed the youtube videos. All the tabs on the sides and bottom 'popped' off but the top definitely seems to not be loose at all. It definitely feels that there are additional fasteners. My car has the rear door sunshades as well as the full leather package. Any one have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Loosen the snaps with a pickle fork tool from autozone. Once all the snaps have been loosened around the bottom and sides you need to push the whole panel upwards. Don't use force! Ever! Just carefully bump up with your first/palm starting on the outside of the door. Now be careful not to pull away the panel once it loosens. There are a variety of harnesses attached. There are acrylic light pipes on the door for tray lightning: Tug on them and you risk breaking them! Once the panel is loose, first detach the door look Bowden cable. Just pull up on the plastic attachment. Then work you way around to disconnect all connectors. Some will fight you coming out of their sockets. Be patient and take you time. A little support under the panel (a box or so) could be handy to avoid strain. Remove the down light on the bottom of the panel by pulling it down and out. Do it before you loosen the panel. There is a plastic piece in the middle of the panel that is used to re-install the panel. It allows t you to hang the panel back onto the door frame. This piece usually falls off upon removal. Reinstall it. Take a close look how it all works. The snaps are not robust. Get a hand full of new once from BMW to have on hand.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx rt, I found a screw behind the airbag emblem

Loosen the snaps with a pickle fork tool from autozone. Once all the snaps have been loosened around the bottom and sides you need to push the whole panel upwards. Don't use force! Ever! Just carefully bump up with your first/palm starting on the outside of the door. Now be careful not to pull away the panel once it loosens. There are a variety of harnesses attached. There are acrylic light pipes on the door for tray lightning: Tug on them and you risk breaking them! Once the panel is loose, first detach the door look Bowden cable. Just pull up on the plastic attachment. Then work you way around to disconnect all connectors. Some will fight you coming out of their sockets. Be patient and take you time. A little support under the panel (a box or so) could be handy to avoid strain. Remove the down light on the bottom of the panel by pulling it down and out. Do it before you loosen the panel. There is a plastic piece in the middle of the panel that is used to re-install the panel. It allows t you to hang the panel back onto the door frame. This piece usually falls off upon removal. Reinstall it. Take a close look how it all works. The snaps are not robust. Get a hand full of new once from BMW to have on hand.
That's what was holding the panel in place, it wasn't mentioned in most of the DIY youtube videos but I found one that mentioned it. That did it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts