BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm fairly sure my right rear window motor is giving up. It worked intermittently in the colder months - it's been OK now that it's warmer but I'm told that's often the behavior when they're wearing out.

Genuine BMW motors seem to go between $160 and $200, but I've found Dorman and a few others for less. Does anyone have experience with non-OEM motors, and if so, were they any good? Yes, I'm cheap and always looking to save.

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I'm well aware of the "you get what you pay for" and "spend more now, spend less in the long run" arguments and I may very well go OEM in the end but I'm hoping for some empirical answers to the question. Please refrain from the "how dare you put that sort of thing on an M5"-type comments ;) Been there, done that.

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am considering a used motor; the price is hard to beat but I feel it's a crapshoot. With a lot of things a used part is perfectly serviceable but with these motors' known proclivity for failure it's hard to replace a used one with another used one that might fail in short order :( It's on the table though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts