BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just gotten my car back from having a few things done, motor mounts and brake fluid flush, and a few days before this I had just replaced the alternator. I was driving around and my front windows were down i closed the driver side window and then clicked the passenger side window but nothing happened. the window made a "snap" or clunk noise and then the front part fell a few inches, I clicked the button up and down just to see what it was doing and after moving it around a little it stopped completely. I raised the window up with my hand and then pushed the button all the way up.

Do the windows ever pop out of what ever is holding them to the regulator or does this sound like a cable snapped?

I'm going to take apart my door a little bit later but would like to know what i'm looking for. I've worked on my cars a good amount before but never have had any window problems like this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You may have damaged the actual window regulator. As for the window falling off the "track," its more popping out. The window is snug fit into two metal/steel "guides" that are surrounded in rubber. When you take your door panel off to dissect your issue you will see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

Zach

·
Registered
580 Posts
Same happened to me and it was the glass that had detached from the regulator. It is held on by two rubber coated clamps. You wont know till you open it up though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may have damaged the actual window regulator. As for the window falling off the "track," its more popping out. The window is snug fit into two metal/steel "guides" that are surrounded in rubber. When you take your door panel off to dissect your issue you will see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

Zach
Why does this happen? I took the door panel off and saw that the two things that move the window up and down were not attached to the window and when not attached to the window the one further back would get stuck. So i put the window down and lined everything up and it worked fine for most of yesterday. But then later yesterday the window stopped working again.... :dunno:. I'm going to take it all apart again today.

Same happened to me and it was the glass that had detached from the regulator. It is held on by two rubber coated clamps. You wont know till you open it up though.

Can you replace the rubber clamps? are those what are causing me these problems?

Also there were two things i noticed,

1. When the window comes down it has a "pin" that hits something i guess to tell the window to stop. This is on the "lifter" closer to the engine. Mine looked "used" and i was wondering should i add something to it to make it close a little earlier?

2. After everything was "fixed" I would hear a clunk when the window went all the way down at the end of the travel down and also when closing the window right before it closes.

I didn't remove the airbag so I couldn't see what happens at the top of the travel but i plan on removing it today and looking. Also when the window is not set in the regulator should the cables and "lifters" be able to flop around?

Either way i found regulators for 75$$ from

BMW Front Right Window Regulator E39 (97-05)

Now i just need to confirm it is indeed the regulator and not something else in the way or what not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I cant really tell what you are saying, except that it sounds like the window was detached from the mechanical lifting mechanisim. I would think that is the one and only problem. Its been a while since that happened to me, but werent there tightening screws on the window clamps? Make sure the window is properly positioned, maybe by looking for any marks where the clamps were before. I havent had any problems with mine since reattaching the window to the clamps.

Also, remember if you disconnect the airbag and turn on the car power (or maybe just have the battery connected, cant remember) you will get an airbag fault in the instrument cluster that wont go out until it is reset with a Peake SRS tool or BMW tech.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cant really tell what you are saying, except that it sounds like the window was detached from the mechanical lifting mechanisim. I would think that is the one and only problem. Its been a while since that happened to me, but werent there tightening screws on the window clamps? Make sure the window is properly positioned, maybe by looking for any marks where the clamps were before. I havent had any problems with mine since reattaching the window to the clamps.

Also, remember if you disconnect the airbag and turn on the car power (or maybe just have the battery connected, cant remember) you will get an airbag fault in the instrument cluster that wont go out until it is reset with a Peake SRS tool or BMW tech.

I'm going to take a little video later of everything when i re-do it. I'll try to tighten the clamps and make sure they are lined up...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts