BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed my deflector last nite when I got home in the garage and did not have a chance to use it until this morning. It fits very well and looks very nice. I seem to hear a slight noise from one of the corners although I want to try to pay a little more attention to it. On the highway I was thinking that it was useful but not 500$ useful. Then I reached back and pushed down the upright section so that it was collapsed upon itself, and wow did the wind pick up. I would say this is great if you want to get your girlfriend to shut the hell up about her hair, or just find the wind annoying at high speeds. It certainly makes a huge difference even though I didnt realize it until I stopped using it. Anybody in the NYC area that is curious about getting one is more than welcome to let me know and they can meet up with me and test it out, as it transports and comes off pretty easily. All in all if the 500 wont break the bank and you would like a slightly calmer ride without having to put the windows up while the top is down(which I never do) then this is a worthwhile mod. I have also added a pic of my fish from yesterday just because.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Thanks for the review AJ...I am going to wait until I see it in person you can take me for a ride...not sold on it at all...

·
Registered
156 Posts
can i see a pic with the windscreen up and the rear glass window up?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Man that's ugly. It's position mid-cabin makes it look weird. While I understand it's function as I have one on my sl55, and also understand that it needs to behind the front seats it just looks like a design afterthought. On a long open air drive I guess I'd live with it, otherwise I use the cab au naturel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think it was some of the best money I ever spent. The rear window does nothing vs. wind, and the wife HATES the hair-effect. When you actually use this deflector on the highway, you will know how much air it deflects from the cabin-very impressive. It can flip down when slightly windy, but it absolutely changes the quality of the ride at higher speeds. Wife loves it, so win-win. The look doesn't bother me at all, but in/out of the trunk is something of a deal. It WILL let you put the top down more...

·
Registered
118 Posts
It may be no work of art :) but if you spend a long time running at 70-80 mph or higher with the roof down it is well worth the money. It works to much higher speeds too. I did a track day with roof down/wind break up and it seems quite sturdy up to 130-140mph! Not that I was doing too much looking behind me at that speed... Peter

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I think I need to get one...my girl was bitching about the wind...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richie you do need to get one, after the run in LI yesterday I really felt the difference it made, and I was able to use it all the way up to the limiter. and it made driving to the limiter with the top down possible and enjoyable. what happened to you yesterday though, i thought i saw your name on the list.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got mine and my dealer installed it. Looks like it can be removed easily. It looks good imo and really does block the wind. I am truly amazed. There is almost no wind in the cabin with it and the windows up. During the warm period, i'll rarely use it. Its when the temp drops that it will become very useful and increase the number of topless nights :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After having it for a while now I love it. Last week I was driving home at night and the wind was really starting to bother my eyes for some reason. I just sat up in my seat, reached back with a free hand and opened the wind deflector. worked like a charm. I would strongly recommend this to anyone with a convertible. and I was skeptical in the beginning.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wasn't really entertaining this option too much cuz I just roll up the windows when I go over 50+mph... however my GF hates having the windows up in a droptop, even on the highway. And she hates holding onto her hat when we're at highway speeds while her hair blows all over her face.

My buddy at work has an older M3 with one of these and says it's awesome. His remark, and more importantly, the input from you guys, has sold me on getting this as my next "upgrade".

Thanks!
B

·
Registered
358 Posts
Bought the wind deflector and love it. Around town its not needed and be folded down or stored in trunk. But driving on highway or interstate its a must. Drove to Memphis, 4 hrs away, last week averaging 80 to 90 (hit triple digits a few times) and the ride was comfortable. Could hear the radio and even talk on the phone over the car mic. Its worth it just to keep your GF/wife happy.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for the review. The deflectors really do make a difference! Personally, I like to have my hair follicles ripped out at 100MPH.:noSMG:

·
Registered
358 Posts
:noSMG:Thanks for the review. The deflectors really do make a difference! Personally, I like to have my hair follicles ripped out at 100MPH.
I agree for short trips less than 30 miles I don't install or put the deflector up. If wife is with me it has to be up or she won't let me put top down. Can't mess up her hair. For me it doesn't matter since I'm hair follicle deficient. For long trips, without the deflector I feel beat up and deaf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts