BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Will you stop driving the M5 for awhile, following Pres. Bush's request?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Avoid unnecessary trips, but continue to enjoy the beast.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • No.

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • No, only because that's opposite of what Bush is asking!!

Votes: 9 21.4%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw on news today that President Bush is asking for gasoline conservation until refinery capacities are restored. Will you heed his call?

·
Registered
431 Posts
WilliamCheung said:
Just saw on news today that President Bush is asking for gasoline conservation until refinery capacities are restored. Will you heed his call?
Sure, because I have no M5 until end of OCT...by then there will no refinery issues. Once I get my car, nobody will tell me when to drive.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Re: Will you stop driving the M5 for awhile because President Bush asks you to conser

m5floyd said:
Sure, because I have no M5 until end of OCT...by then there will no refinery issues. Once I get my car, nobody will tell me when to drive.
A While back I read a reseachpaper which said that the US was short on oil as it is. The summer would be the worst (lucky for you this happend in the fall/winter) because most people cruise around in their cars in the summer. If there would be any problems ni the oil or refinery supply chain then this would cause mayor long term problems for the US. First the refinery fire in Texas ( was it in texas can't remember) and now the huricane. If the paper was right then this will last longer then October.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How about he travel a little less. His entorage uses so much fuel they will not even give us a ballpark number. I was in NY, NY last Fri and saw the Secret Service entorage for one of the twins. There must have been five or six Tahoes and the armored caddy all sitting idling at 11:00 at night.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Re: Will you stop driving the M5 for awhile because President Bush asks you to conser

My other cars get worse gas mileage, so that wouldn't really help.

My job requires me to be there every day, so I can't really telecommute effectively.

And I don't really take long driving vacations.

So unless he's giving away a Prius with every tax return filed, I'll just keep doin' what I'm doin'.

·
Registered
248 Posts

At $3.29/gallon, the President does make a convincing arguement.....:flag:

·
Registered
829 Posts

M5_2010 said:
At $3.29/gallon, the President does make a convincing arguement.....:flag:
You guyz have it good, we pay almost double that amount per gallon. And the worste thing is that 86% of that is taxes. The production costs per gallon is 40 cent, the oil companies and gasstations each make 15 to 25 cent per gallon and the rest is taxes.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts

frylord said:
A While back I read a reseachpaper which said that the US was short on oil as it is. The summer would be the worst (lucky for you this happend in the fall/winter) because most people cruise around in their cars in the summer. If there would be any problems ni the oil or refinery supply chain then this would cause mayor long term problems for the US. First the refinery fire in Texas ( was it in texas can't remember) and now the huricane. If the paper was right then this will last longer then October.
This sounds not unlike the propaganda that used to be prevalent in Soviet Russia -- the corrupt American imperialists are so destitute that they are in an energy crisis and entire cities are dark. Then one visits New York, Las Vegas, or any other US city, town or village and sees very quickly that this is sheer nonsense. There always have been and always will be stresses on oil supply -- hurricanes, wars, embargoes, etc. However, gas prices retreat very quickly. Just last week, while Hurricane Rita was spinning at 175 mph, average gas prices in the US fell 17 cents in just one week. They already are coming down again once Rita did much less damage than expected. If 86% of your country's gas price is tax, you likely are at far greater risk than we are.

·
Registered
829 Posts

MRichmond said:
This sounds not unlike the propaganda that used to be prevalent in Soviet Russia -- the corrupt American imperialists are so destitute that they are in an energy crisis and entire cities are dark. Then one visits New York, Las Vegas, or any other US city, town or village and sees very quickly that this is sheer nonsense. There always have been and always will be stresses on oil supply -- hurricanes, wars, embargoes, etc. However, gas prices retreat very quickly. Just last week, while Hurricane Rita was spinning at 175 mph, average gas prices in the US fell 17 cents in just one week. They already are coming down again once Rita did much less damage than expected. If 86% of your country's gas price is tax, you likely are at far greater risk than we are.
I don't see what taxes have anything todo with the supply chain, as you can see the production costs of gasoline is just about the same for the EU zone as the US, it's the taxes that ruine it for us. Although diesel and LPG cars are popular over here.

The paper didn't talk about power outages and such, the only thing it said was that during the summer there could be advers effects on the gasoline prices if something went wrong in the chain.

The research was done by a US university btw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts