BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about this final piece of the uuc ssk puzzle.. anybody got one recently? The company seems pretty tight-lipped about it and won't discuss it with me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a UUC DSSR...but it is still in the box. My mechanic was due to install it with my UUC SSK a couple weeks ago, but something came up and we had to postpone. With SEMA coming up I might not get it installed until November...Rob got my DSSR to me a bit late since it was originally backordered when I first called him...but I do have it in hand now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've currently got one on backorder as well. Whenever I call, the next batch is coming "next Tuesday". I should call again today to get a status update.

David

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I actually have one installed on my SC'd M5. I know that the initial run of the DSSR's sold out very quickly, actually more quickly than UUC ever expected.

This piece is really worth the price even though it looks as it it is just a simple piece. I have been speaking with Rob(@UUC) about this DSSR since we first installed the EVO3 SSK (first one installed on a M5 in the country) last year.

I have no doubt its worth the wait.. although i can not say 100% what it feels like as i have not driven my car in months.

B

·
0 Posts
We have sold a bunch of them already, and they are very popular. Almost every one who orders the UUC EVO3 also orders the DSSR.

Don't forget the coupons that we have available in the e39 Group Buy forum.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
The DSSR is a great addition to EVO3. The OEM rod and ends are a joke. The inertia really helps ensure solid engagement during rapid shifts & reduces notchiness. It also tightens up a sloppy BMW linkage!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I got my EVO3 plus DSSR last week. I was planning to install it myself. But since the car is going to the shop for a clutch job. They told me that they'd do the SSK for free while they had the transmission out.
Speaking of clutch, My clutch started to slip and I have since stopepd driving the car, what are the chances that I'll need to replace my flywheel as well?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
dmz said:
I got my EVO3 plus DSSR last week. I was planning to install it myself. But since the car is going to the shop for a clutch job. They told me that they'd do the SSK for free while they had the transmission out.
Speaking of clutch, My clutch started to slip and I have since stopepd driving the car, what are the chances that I'll need to replace my flywheel as well?
73%....lol

By the time the driver senses slip, the flywheel is usually hotspotted and cracked. If you are VERY sensitive to slip and it was limited to "seconds", you may get lucky. It is hard to guess how sensitive you ae to slip. Reusing a flywheel is always a risk because you could get chatter from hot spots. Overheated flywheels act like abused rotors (bad).

The smart route with E39 is usually to replace EVERYTHING, incl pilot bearing ($20), bearing retainer (throwout bearing rides on it) ($150), flywheel ($700) and the flimsy plastic pivot for the clutch fork & it's retaining clip ($20). The Getrag bearing retainers (gizmo that fits over the splined tranny input shaft) are notorious for wearing a ridge and this causes noise and malfunction when depressing the clutch. They generally show bad wear at 70-100K mi on E39 V8. Go to RSMillar's home site (search for URL on roadfly) to get 540i clutch wear pics & symptomatic info. It is the same as M5.

If you're putting another stock clutch in, it'll probably only last a couple years. This may influence your decision about ancillary rehabilitation expenditures. I'd surely replace all these parts if you're going the UUC route. Spending an extra $220 for bearing, pivot and tranny retainer allows you to maximize durability and lifespan. Nothing better than troublefree operation for the next 100K mi.

B

·
0 Posts
dmz said:
If you decide to go with the UUC clutch/flywheel, let me know and we will give you a discount.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, I too ordered a DSSR with my SSK over a month ago. The SSK came in, but the DSSR has been on backorder for well over a month. Good news though, my shop called this week and it's in. Finally!
TripleD

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Brother Methias said:
will the UUC DSSR selector rod go into production?
Just curious about this final piece of the uuc ssk puzzle.. anybody got one recently? The company seems pretty tight-lipped about it and won't discuss it with me.

As has been clarified earlier in this thread, of course they are in production! Part of why they seem to be "trickling out" is that the M5 version is very time-consuming to make... it starts life as a steel rod about nearly 11" long and about 1.5" in diameter, and then most of it gets machined down to just over 1/3 of that! Very difficult to lathe, so the machining is done very slowly. And then, of course, the detail work at the ends takes time.

There's a lot of info about the DSSR on our website (click here) and also lots of good discussion here on M5board.com... but if there is anything about it you would like to ask, please feel free to do so here or call me during the day.

The only version of the DSSR for the M5 that has not yet been released is the one specifically to fit UUC EVO2 shifters. We're catching up on production, I hope to have those available in late October or early November.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts