BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering since the new M3 will get the dual clutch auto... will the m6 and m5 get it anytime soon? or will it only be on the next generation M6

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks cosmos and gustav. So it will be in the next generation of m5 and m6 and when will those be coming in like 4-5 years?? Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Cosmos do u have any pics of the concept (If there is one) post some pics thanks...

·
Registered
742 Posts
The problem that BMW and Audi have with the Dual clutch systems is down to the torque of the engine.
BMW mananged to get the M3 sorted, but the M£ it barely has 300ft lb torque, where as our engines have close to 400 ft bl torque.
Really though, you would have though if BUGATTI managed it on the Veyron, then it shouldn't be a problem for our engines either:dunno:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The secret with the Bugatti lies with the engines and trannsmissons.

Two transmissions in the Bugatti and two twin Turbo VR6 engines, matted to common crank and common drive shaft.

So that 1100 HP is actually 2 550HP engines so I think it was pulled off by having less stress on the transmissions.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
ok thanks cosmos and gustav. So it will be in the next generation of m5 and m6 and when will those be coming in like 4-5 years?? Thanks for the info. Much appreciated
It is actually called DKT in the BMW's. It will not even initially available in the M3. They will be introduced as clutch on the floor manuals. The E60/63 will not have DKT until EOP as mentioned. BMW's next GT Super car probably will in 2010. I would imagine at least be an option. This tranny technology is the future! People ***** about it but it is superior technology that improves performance.:lightbulb::applause:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
the technology is based on 2 separate clutch mechanisms. 1 for even and 1 for odd numbered gears. One clutch releases the current gear while the other engages the next selected. It shortens shift time substantially and will lead to much smoother shifts. The gear changes are almost imperceptible.:)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
the technology is based on 2 separate clutch mechanisms. 1 for even and 1 for odd numbered gears. One clutch releases the current gear while the other engages the next selected. It shortens shift time substantially and will lead to much smoother shifts. The gear changes are almost imperceptible.:)
right but say you're shifting from 4th gear to 2nd around a corner...the "even" clutch has to engage then reengage to its "even" gear again...because it is skipping 3rd gear....doesn't this create a time lag?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
not sure about the technical explanation but I trust in the BMW Engineers here. It's a great question. Perhaps someone with more technical expertise could opine here!?:)

·
Registered
742 Posts
right but say you're shifting from 4th gear to 2nd around a corner...the "even" clutch has to engage then reengage to its "even" gear again...because it is skipping 3rd gear....doesn't this create a time lag?
I think in that case senario the transmition will take a little longer, at least this is what a friend with a tt DSG has told me.
Otherwise if you are accelerating hard the transmition automatically selects the higher gear, if you are decelarating it selects the one that is lower than what you have just selelcted selected if this makes sence.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Actually, the Bugatti is two W8's mated together (W16), not a 12. And it's only got one transmission (mfg'd by Ricardo), but 2 clutches. But who's counting -- it's not really a car. It's more like a F-22 on wheels.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You are 100% correct. I should have said W8 not a VR6. I was under the impression that the double clutch was two transmissions based on that each clutch operates the odd and even gears.

So 1-3-5- and 2-4-6 handled by each side.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cosmos u forgot about the 7th gear..... its 2-4-6 and 1-3-5-7 i saw it in one of the post that gustav put up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts