BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no desire to use the fold down function but I am concerned about that big hump in the middle of the rear bench.

Look at this first picture. Note the way there is a big hump in the middle of the rear making the car a comfortable 4 seater but unpleasant for the centre passenger.

Now look at this second picture from the M5 interior:

See how the hump is smaller in the second picture!

Some questions:

(1) I assume that the hump is smaller in the second photo because that car has the fold down seats. Do I need to order the fold down seat (through load) option if I want a smaller hump?

(2) Or do all E60s come with a smaller hump nowadays?

(3) Or is it something else "special" about the M5?

(4) Member cidair said some time ago that fold down seats can be retrofitted - is this true?

(5) How do I make sure that I don't get the big hump?

I do not want the hump - I need to fit a wife and two child seats in the back!

Please help.. worried about the hump :confused2

·
Registered
283 Posts
Since the fold-down seats on our E39 Ms were thinner and less humpy, I think you can assume the fold-downs on the E60 Ms will be, too.

EDIT: The second photo does appear to be fold-downs. Look at the bottom of the seat-back cushion. On the second photo, there appears to be a bigger gap than the top photo, suggesting that it is to facilitate fold-down capability.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
The two pics are of different back seats...the lines are completely different

all the best
adam

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Adam is right. The seats are very diferent and the centre armrest in the lower picture is cut much lower in the seat back than in the first pic. The centre headrest is also the same height as the left and right headrest in the second pic yet much higher in the first. The middle seat in the lower picture definitely looks more comfortable.

Ashok, does the roll ever get reversed and you end up in the back seat with the kids. hiha

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I have the fold-down rear seats and I checked - the M5 picture is the fold-down seats. You can tell because the handle to pull down the center section is fully contained in the headrest in the fold-down seats. In the other seats, the handle is located between the headrest and the center section.

The middle seat is not really comfortable in the fold-down, but it certainly is good enough for short trips. It does look like there is more of a 'bump' with the other seats. I would checkout cars at the dealership to see how much of a difference it is.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Wolverine said:
I have the fold-down rear seats and I checked - the M5 picture is the fold-down seats. You can tell because the handle to pull down the center section is fully contained in the headrest in the fold-down seats. In the other seats, the handle is located between the headrest and the center section.

The middle seat is not really comfortable in the fold-down, but it certainly is good enough for short trips. It does look like there is more of a 'bump' with the other seats. I would checkout cars at the dealership to see how much of a difference it is.
You are right about the head rest also...hmm the plot thickens :typing:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ashok,

With 75.000 km's with the fold-down seats in the rear I can tell you that there will be a lot more crisping sounds behind you than with the standard backseats.

Guust

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By "crisping" do you mean rattling? This is a concern.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Hi Ashok

I have the fold-down seats as I have to carry 3 (now almost adult) kids on long journeys. My dealer replaced all the latches under warranty at the last service (without being asked!!). I have never had any rattles and still feels tight at 72k miles!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Can anyone confirm the option code for fold-down rear seats? Is it option 465 (through load system)?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I hear the leather sides scrubbing (i"m sorry, I don't know a better word for it in your language) against eachother on bumps and while driving fast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts