BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get lowering springs and Koni shocks for my E39 M5. The only set of 4 springs I can find are Dinan's (way overpriced!), and H & R seems to only make the fronts. Will 540i Eibach springs fit the M5? Any input or ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Todd said:
I am looking to get lowering springs and Koni shocks for my E39 M5. The only set of 4 springs I can find are Dinan's (way overpriced!), and H & R seems to only make the fronts. Will 540i Eibach springs fit the M5? Any input or ideas are appreciated.
Short answer is no; the 540 springs will not work. If you want to do it right, get a set of coil-overs. Of course the stock set up is top notch already. Perhaps evaluating your goal will help you decide... i.e., are you going for looks, performance, or both?

·
Registered
439 Posts
physically the 540 springs will fit no problem, but they arent sprung for the xtra 500 pounds the m5 weighs, so the car will handle worse and sag more.
you can call ground control and have them make you custom springs for the application your looking for i bet.
im sure you'll have to replace the factory shock though.
plenty of stuff on here regarding suspension if you do a search.

ray

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
OS said:
m5's front is havier - not a good idea
A fully loaded 540i weighs about 200lbs less than an M5...not much, but significant. The Eibach 540i springs are a compromise rate and length to suit 540i cars typically weighing between 3700lbs and 3850lbs. They indeed WILL "work" on the heavier M5, as CA Auto says. The 540i Eibach springs have nearly the same spring rate as stock 540i sport springs, except their free length is shorter for lower ride height.

This will cause the car to sit very low & the car will handle a little worse than stock when driven hard. This is the hot setup for looks, not handling or ride quality. The car will bottom more often.

Why not just use the H&R M5 fronts like Elevens did?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would use H&R's if they had a 4 spring kit. I dont want to lower just the front, I want a balanced 4 corner setup. I think that leaves me with going with Dinan -or- one of the coil over setup's.

Does anyone know, are the standard Koni M5 shocks, any different than the Konis supplied from Dinan??

Lscman said:
A fully loaded 540i weighs about 200lbs less than an M5...not much, but significant. The Eibach 540i springs are a compromise rate and length to suit 540i cars typically weighing between 3700lbs and 3850lbs. They indeed WILL "work" on the heavier M5, as CA Auto says. The 540i Eibach springs have nearly the same spring rate as stock 540i sport springs, except their free length is shorter for lower ride height.

This will cause the car to sit very low & the car will handle a little worse than stock when driven hard. This is the hot setup for looks, not handling or ride quality. The car will bottom more often.

Why not just use the H&R M5 fronts like Elevens did?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
B&G makes a four spring set that sits the car at a give lowered stance at a great price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts