BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 M5 with digital DSP (3 pin CD changer and coax), upgraded MKIV, and 16:9 widescreen. Just installed a Dice Mediabridge and DSP adapter, and am getting the garbled text. Search shows that upgrading my C43 will fix it.

I have a BM54 radio unit on hand that I'm thinking of installing, but would need the Bimmernav Old to New Adapter. Since this has the 6pin connector that my car doesn't have, would I be able to get rid of the DSP adapter?

Do I really need that whole adapter for $179? Any reason why this adapter wouldn't work? Anybody try anything else with success?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I have a 2000 M5 with digital DSP (3 pin CD changer and coax), upgraded MKIV, and 16:9 widescreen. Just installed a Dice Mediabridge and DSP adapter, and am getting the garbled text. Search shows that upgrading my C43 will fix it.

I have a BM54 radio unit on hand that I'm thinking of installing, but would need the Bimmernav Old to New Adapter. Since this has the 6pin connector that my car doesn't have, would I be able to get rid of the DSP adapter?

Do I really need that whole adapter for $179? Any reason why this adapter wouldn't work? Anybody try anything else with success?

Thanks
Your profile shows Your location as "CA", so if I am correctly interpreting it you are in California. The BM54 will not work for the US broadcasts. You will need the BM53 radio. There are several versions, but I would check the part number to be sure that it supports text.

Yes, you will need the complete adapter and the CDC cable if you update to the new generation radios. I have a DIY in the sticky and my signature. The DIY includes all of the BMW part numbers for the retrofit. IIRC, the bimmernav price is a bit high, especially, if you get a discount (BMWCCA) on parts from your local dealer.

The second adapter in your post will likely not work as the configuration and description does not look right for the old to new generation adapters; there are four cables in all (power/audio out, tape/Nav audio in, CDC, and antenna).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic write up. I do get a discount, I'll check my dealer tomorrow. Do you remember the ballpark of some of those adapters? I see the C43-BM53 harness online for around $70, do you remember yours being less? Were they special order?

I'll have to double check the part number for my radio, but I'm CERTAIN it's a BM54 and I remember the PO playing the radio to show me all components were working :confused: His M5 was a 2003, but I can't see that making a difference if the radio bands are different altogether.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your profile shows Your location as "CA", so if I am correctly interpreting it you are in California. The BM54 will not work for the US broadcasts. You will need the BM53 radio. There are several versions, but I would check the part number to be sure that it supports text.

Yes, you will need the complete adapter and the CDC cable if you update to the new generation radios. I have a DIY in the sticky and my signature. The DIY includes all of the BMW part numbers for the retrofit. IIRC, the bimmernav price is a bit high, especially, if you get a discount (BMWCCA) on parts from your local dealer.

The second adapter in your post will likely not work as the configuration and description does not look right for the old to new generation adapters; there are four cables in all (power/audio out, tape/Nav audio in, CDC, and antenna).
Got around to installing everything today. I can confirm that the BMW adapters DO replace the need for a DSP adapter for a Dice Mediabridge.

CDC ADAPTER P/N: 61126924785 mates to BMW CONNECTION CABLE CD-CHANGER (550mm) P/N: 65128364756 which then plugs into the 6 pin audio connector for the Mediabridge. Got everything working with the DSP adapter completely unplugged.

I can also confirm that the BM54 radio works in the US as well. This may vary by exact part number though.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Got around to installing everything today. I can confirm that the BMW adapters DO replace the need for a DSP adapter for a Dice Mediabridge.

CDC ADAPTER P/N: 61126924785 mates to BMW CONNECTION CABLE CD-CHANGER (550mm) P/N: 65128364756 which then plugs into the 6 pin audio connector for the Mediabridge. Got everything working with the DSP adapter completely unplugged.

I can also confirm that the BM54 radio works in the US as well. This may vary by exact part number though.
With the BM54 working in the US (US frequencies), does the Traffic Monitor work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts