BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just called my dealership in White Plains, NY and asked them to put me on the M6 waiting list rather than the M5. Its going to be a long wait - but its worth it. When asked about a manual transmission availability for the US-spec M5 (and maybe M6 as well?), they said that they cannot comment on "rampant internet rumors".

Can anyone of you shed light on this manual transmission "rumor" that will be available for the M5 and M6? I thought BMWNA conformed this? Maybe I can relay the message to my dealership. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It was never confirmed by BMWNA.

There was a webpage on the US site which stated that the M5 would be avaliable with SMG or 'classic' manual but it was very quickly taken down again.

We're left with the option that it was either a mistake in wording or timing.

I personally feel it was a error in wording as I can't see BMW going to the cost of developing a manual and then only offering it in the US. Big as that market is, combined worldwide sales outside the US are not exactly chicken feed. Also Mr Bruhnke, BMW M Manager claimed that a work on a manual had not even started and was in no way certain to ever be done when interviewed by Gustav quite recently.

But having said all that, I've been known to be very wrong in the past and doubtless will be at other times in the future.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are absolutely right! The M5 link is gone. I am glad that one of the bretheren has captured the screen and posted it on another thread.

Thanks for the information. I hope to see the M5 in the NY Auto show @ the Javits Convention Center this April.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
As long as you have your deposit/ spot in line, you can always wait and see. Just one thing on car shows- the reps there often don't know much.

Btw- I think it will be offered.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
See here:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49719&page=2

Satch Carlson of Roundel (the Car Club's magazine- I would say if you are not a member and are interested in BMW's it is very much worth it!) says it looks like there WILL be a stick shift for the M5 and presumably this translates to the M6. I sure hope (and believe it to be) so.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think it is a timing issue. It seems odd to launch 2 major M cars with SMG only and then suddenly say " ... by the way, manual will also be offered but in the US only". The marketing seems goofy. Coupled by the development requirements of a manual (whether or not it is 7 speed), I don't think we're going to see a M5/M6 manual that soon. It will be a long wait, probably mid-production life of both M's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts