BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently on 20" P40s and lowered with H&R sport. Im looking to put of some 305/25/20s in the rear to catch more traction but will it cause rubbing issues? whats the widest i can go in the back?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Im currently on 20" P40s and lowered with H&R sport. Im looking to put of some 305/25/20s in the rear to catch more traction but will it cause rubbing issues? whats the widest i can go in the back?
Do a search, M5Ranger has done this

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Go for it. No problem, you will not rub.
I assume your P40's are 10.5" in the rear so no problem.
After I do some wheel changes I will try 315/25/20 (only in a Toyo TR1) and believe it will work. Will need 11" rears and nail the offset though.

Ranger

Reactions: DeepsSeadweller

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I've posted these pics several times before.
This is my set up which was very customized and do not recommend it. Running a Toyo TR1 305/30/20 on a 20"x12" rim.
I would recommend 11" width and the 305/25/20 tire. The 305/30/20 is a bit too tall (27.2" rolling diameter) requiring to many issues.

Regarding tires that is a broad discussion. The Michelin PS2 has always been touted as the "gold standard" but frankly I would challenge that.
There are other good tires. I am very satisfied with the Toyo TR1's. If there's one tire I'd be negative about is the Nitto INVO. IMO for cars of the weight like ours the INVO's suck. Their sidewalls are mush. They have $h!t for lateral stress tolerances. They feel "bouncy" at slower speeds and steering input on hard cornering suck. They are okay for straightline stuff but that's it. I speak from personal experience not second hand stories.

Cheers
Ranger

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've posted these pics several times before.
This is my set up which was very customized and do not recommend it. Running a Toyo TR1 305/30/20 on a 20"x12" rim.
I would recommend 11" width and the 305/25/20 tire. The 305/30/20 is a bit too tall (27.2" rolling diameter) requiring to many issues.

Regarding tires that is a broad discussion. The Michelin PS2 has always been touted as the "gold standard" but frankly I would challenge that.
There are other good tires. I am very satisfied with the Toyo TR1's. If there's one tire I'd be negative about is the Nitto INVO. IMO for cars of the weight like ours the INVO's suck. Their sidewalls are mush. They have $h!t for lateral stress tolerances. They feel "bouncy" at slower speeds and steering input on hard cornering suck. They are okay for straightline stuff but that's it. I speak from personal experience not second hand stories.

Cheers
Ranger
The new hotness are the Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 tires, which come in run flat versions, but not our sizes yet. :(

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The new hotness are the Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 tires, which come in run flat versions, but not our sizes yet. :(
That Goodyear has an interesting tread design. I can not find more specific specs on this tire. Would like to know the treadwear rating.
I will say for a sportscar run-flats are not the way to go.
Sadly Goodyear had their day way back but have been surpassed by many other manufacturers. Except for NASCAR which other sanctioned racing body uses Goodyear anymore. In the early/mid 90's F1 ran Goodyear but have been past by.

Ranger

·
Company Representative for Precision Sport
220 Posts
Guys, if you're looking to hook up more, you definitely don't want to go with a shorter sidewall, like a 305/25-20.

On the second G-Power car we did, we ordered HRE comp-97 wheels in 10.5" rear. I forget the offset, will have it for you all tomorrow, but we ran 305/30-20 in the rear, Pirelli P-Zero Nero NO PROBLEM at all with rubbing/ABS/DSC - and on Eibach springs as well. Sectional width was as wide as anything else on the market, too - I checked.

Sidewall is the key to "hooking." You're really doing yourself a disservice going with less sidewall even if you're widening the footprint.

Here's a pic; perfect fitment

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I currently run the RAC's that were produced solely for the E60 M5...the rears are 10.5 (I do not know the offset but they are perfect...)

I purchased them used with 305/30/20 and they rubbed...it was a well documented problem if you search...i was really a problem 4 yrs ago because there was limited options for 305/25

I currently run 305/25 in Bridgestone RE-050a and am very happy...if you are going to run 305/30 you will have to grind the hardware that fastens the bumper to the fender...

BTW...i do not think that lowering springs affect which tires rub...they only affect ride height...the amount of travel in the suspension is not altered

·
Registered
550 Posts
That Goodyear has an interesting tread design. I can not find more specific specs on this tire. Would like to know the treadwear rating.
I will say for a sportscar run-flats are not the way to go.
Sadly Goodyear had their day way back but have been surpassed by many other manufacturers. Except for NASCAR which other sanctioned racing body uses Goodyear anymore. In the early/mid 90's F1 ran Goodyear but have been past by.

Ranger
Well, treadwear is a joke, you're getting a solid near racing tire. :D It's somewhere between the Dodge Viper's Michelin Pilot Sport Cup and standard PS2 tire.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Guys, if you're looking to hook up more, you definitely don't want to go with a shorter sidewall, like a 305/25-20.

On the second G-Power car we did, we ordered HRE comp-97 wheels in 10.5" rear. I forget the offset, will have it for you all tomorrow, but we ran 305/30-20 in the rear, Pirelli P-Zero Nero NO PROBLEM at all with rubbing/ABS/DSC - and on Eibach springs as well. Sectional width was as wide as anything else on the market, too - I checked.

Sidewall is the key to "hooking." You're really doing yourself a disservice going with less sidewall even if you're widening the footprint.

Here's a pic; perfect fitment

Hey Frank, Michelin PS2 aren't available in 305/30/20? I can only find PZero Neros and some Bridgestone tire at Tirerack.com

Another thing, I have a set of HRE P40s, 20 x 10.5 at the rears, so following your example, I should not have any rubbing issues with 305/30/20? My car has stock ride height but will be getting the Dinan springs soon, which has the least aggressive lowering out there. LMK, thanks.

·
Company Representative for Precision Sport
220 Posts
Not sure if they are. . .there are a few options, though.

You can search 285/30-20 or 295/30-20 and I am willing to bet you will hook off the line more than a 25 series tire. I bet a PS2 in 285/30-20 would be one hell of a tire for hooking from a dig.

I switched my rears on my E46 M3 from 275/30-19 to 275/35-19 and it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure if they are. . .there are a few options, though.

You can search 285/30-20 or 295/30-20 and I am willing to bet you will hook off the line more than a 25 series tire. I bet a PS2 in 285/30-20 would be one hell of a tire for hooking from a dig.

I switched my rears on my E46 M3 from 275/30-19 to 275/35-19 and it made a world of difference.
im guessing by "hooking" you mean catching traction of the line?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Well, treadwear is a joke, you're getting a solid near racing tire. :D It's somewhere between the Dodge Viper's Michelin Pilot Sport Cup and standard PS2 tire.
Toyo

Treadwear is a joke? Maybe somewhat true because it's a relative number but this tire will have a tall order to compete with the Toyo R888, the Pirelli Corsa and now Trofeo series, Michelin PSC's, Toyo RA1 or BFG R1's. Not to speak of the mother of track tires short of slicks, the Hoosier R6.
So Goodyear better put it's racing shoes on because they are way behind the 8-ball.

Ranger

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Jed, if you know your offset, shoot me a PM with it and I'll let you know when I find out what offset we're running on the white car.

Ok, will get the ETs for you tomorrow for sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Toyo

Treadwear is a joke? Maybe somewhat true because it's a relative number but this tire will have a tall order to compete with the Toyo R888, the Pirelli Corsa and now Trofeo series, Michelin PSC's, Toyo RA1 or BFG R1's. Not to speak of the mother of track tires short of slicks, the Hoosier R6.
So Goodyear better put it's racing shoes on because they are way behind the 8-ball.

Ranger
It's not THAT much of a racing tire. But a good compromise for street driving.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts