BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just picked my car up and drove the 5 km home. My 11 year old daughter likes the cupholders and says the car looks like a shark (the fin thing).

My wife said "Is that really what you've been waiting for? It's ugly - it looks like a whale, not a shark! I was expecting something sleek." I'm not worried - she thinks my Gallardo looks like a kit car! She likes to tease me - I think!

The weather is crap today but I'll try to get a pic or two if I get a chance. Seems like family life doesn't stop just because Dad gets a new toy. Same Saturday errands to run.... :)

First impressions (remember, I've never even sat in a M5 before delivery) is that it is smoother and quieter than I expected. The engine is very flexible (much more flexible at very low revs than the V10 in the Lambo) and seems happy to pull from down in D. The indicator stalk is taking some getting used to and I haven't found the auto wipe function on the wiper yet. And I'm disappointed in the fact that the wipers are still set for LHD - just like the E39. That's cheap.

Interior is higher quality than I remember from sitting in lesser E60's. I've got perforated leather and it feels better than the same in my wife's E500. Sound system is good and i-drive isn't worrying me yet but do I have to press the disclaimer screen away every time I use it?!

The color (Silverstone) is OK only (hadn't seen it before today) but that's probably because it is wintry here today. It looked very fine under the lights in the dealer's showroom an hour ago.

Gotta go now. I'll post more impressions later. :)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
Nice car!


I am sure you will enjoy and so will she! Please continue to let us know your impressions as a first time M owner!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Very funny bud.. thats the exact thing my wife says everytime I show her a photo of the M5. I have been trying to convince her to be open minded but it hasn't worked yet. I would love to hear more feedback/comparisons to the Gallardo when you get around to it. I'm also curious to know what car the M5 replaced?? I currently drive an 03 E55 and I'm wondering if I will enjoy the M5 as much. I live in Palm Beach County FLorida and the roads here are very flat and grid" like. Very uninspirational! Do you think the SMG will be more of a pain then a pleasure??? Anyone? Congrats and Enjoy... Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Seems most wifes don't like M5s.
Mine is begging me to trade mine (as soon as it arrives) for a QP or Bentley CGT.(no way)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
xmuni said:
Very funny bud.. thats the exact thing my wife says everytime I show her a photo of the M5. I have been trying to convince her to be open minded but it hasn't worked yet. I would love to hear more feedback/comparisons to the Gallardo when you get around to it. I'm also curious to know what car the M5 replaced?? I currently drive an 03 E55 and I'm wondering if I will enjoy the M5 as much. I live in Palm Beach County FLorida and the roads here are very flat and grid" like. Very uninspirational! Do you think the SMG will be more of a pain then a pleasure??? Anyone? Congrats and Enjoy... Nick
Nick, I traded an AMG C32.

Just got back from a short drive with the family on board. The girls like it and my wife says "well, it's comfortable" so she's OK too.

The SMG is fine - I like the blip noise the car makes on downchanges. I suspect it will be one of the car's best features, once I've completely mastered it.

Oh, and I remembered to find the POWER button this time. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
sydl said:
Post a picture of your wife and we'll let her know what M5 owners' think
I agree. Let's start a poll with a picture of your car and your wife, and members can vote which one they would rather take for a spin.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sydl said:
Car looks great - what colour interior did you get? Is your Gallardo E-drive or a manual? Guess you only like 10 cylinders!
Black perforated inside. Gallardo is e-gear.

I've been running around town only at this stage, but hope to give it a run first thing tomorrow. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
mhh said:
The indicator stalk is taking some getting used to and I haven't found the auto wipe function on the wiper yet.
Try the button on the end of the right hand stalk - the slider on the same stalk sets the sensitivity of the auto-wipe. Sometimes, on my 530, it doesn't work that well and you have to turn the auto-wipe off and on again to get it wake up and notice that it's raining!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
Is everyone doing "rear spoiler delete" or am I just not seeing the spoiler?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Congratulations! Nice looking. I've decided upon Silverstone II and Black full leather with the Walnut trim. Looks like you also have black leather. What trim? If it's walnut, I'd love to see some interior pictures.

Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
rsteele said:
Congratulations! Nice looking. I've decided upon Silverstone II and Black full leather with the Walnut trim. Looks like you also have black leather. What trim? If it's walnut, I'd love to see some interior pictures.

Richard
Brother Steele (wsteele from Charlotte here):

I will take delivery of the 2nd M5 in Charlotte in Oct. Decided on Sapphire Black with Sepang/Ash for something a little different. Will post pics when she arrives.

My wife is an enthusiastic native German and I have never had trouble selling her on a German car. All I ever have to do is threaten to buy a Corvette and she's all over it. Thank heavens above she's not Korean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
To be honest, the car is a little ugly hmmm . I purchased mine for the 500 other reasons and the 4 doors. Can't wait.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top