BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying I tried searching both M5board and Google but to no avail did I find an answer. I have a 2008 M5 with stock rims and the Conti's are starting to look more like slicks than anything so it's time to go tire shopping. I'm definitely going with PS2's but what is the widest PS2 I can fit on a stock rim? 305's maybe? I would sell the stock rims and buy a set of new ones but I had the stock rims custom painted and it'd be a shame to see them go. Any knowledgeable input would be appreciated. :1zhelp:

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
The stock wheels are the absolute minimum recommended width for the original tire sizes in the PS2. In other words:

Michelin PS2:
255/40R19 recommended wheel width: 8.5-10"
285/35R19 recommended wheel width: 9.5-11"

I guess you could go wider, but you'd be outside of the manufacturer's recommendations. My guess is you'll get even more sidewall wiggle, and add more slop into the handling & steering.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The stock wheels are the absolute minimum recommended width for the original tire sizes in the PS2. In other words:

Michelin PS2:
255/40R19 recommended wheel width: 8.5-10"
285/35R19 recommended wheel width: 9.5-11"

I guess you could go wider, but you'd be outside of the manufacturer's recommendations. My guess is you'll get even more sidewall wiggle, and add more slop into the handling & steering.
I've talked with HRE about custom wheels for wider tires. They also tell me that the OE size tires are the widest that fit safely on the factory wheels.

For 275/35/19" front and 305 (315)/30/19" rear, 9.5X19" front and 10.5X19" rear wheels are needed.

F.Y.I. - 285/35/19" will not fit on the front without strut & inner fenderwell binding. 11.0X19" wheels might fit on the rear, if you modify the rear fenderwells.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would stick with the stock dimensions for the front tires. Well that is disappointing to hear 305's will not fit on stock rims.... :sad1:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I want to buy these new Michelin Pilot Super Sport...can i fit them on stock M5 wheels? Size is 265/35-19 front and 295/30-19 rear.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Speaking of the stock wheels, has anyone bought a set of M5 rear wheels and put them
on the front to run a non-staggered setup? I was thinking this might balance out
the car a little bit and and the ability to rotate tires would be great!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Speaking of the stock wheels, has anyone bought a set of M5 rear wheels and put them
on the front to run a non-staggered setup? I was thinking this might balance out
the car a little bit and and the ability to rotate tires would be great!
I know a guy did this to his M3 E46 though, but havent seen this on an M5.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I doubt very much you are going to be able to fit stock spec 285s on 9.5s upfront without adding a spacer or some fender work to prevent rubbing.. tons of E39 guys run square setup and i had a square setup on my old e39 with spacers..

I am however interested in feedback on Michelin Super Sports in size config 265/35-19 front and 295/30-19 rear. I intend to run similar setup..

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've got 305/30 19 Hankook V12's on the back of mine. Even dropped on the KW V3's and with 12mm spacers in the rear, I've had zero issues with those tires. They might run a bit narrow though as there's no odd sidewall angles, it's fairly straight.

Kris

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've got 305/30 19 Hankook V12's on the back of mine. Even dropped on the KW V3's and with 12mm spacers in the rear, I've had zero issues with those tires. They might run a bit narrow though as there's no odd sidewall angles, it's fairly straight.

Kris

Do you have a picture of it?
305/30/19 that is wide !!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I can take a pic tonight, my gf has the car at school right now. Looks beasty from the back. :)
id like to see that pic too.... im considering that size a s well...

by the way i find the best way to get a good view of the back/tire width is to go aout 30 feet behind the car and then zoom in with your camera.. it eliminates the distortion produced you see when most people take a pic from 5 feet behind the car to show the rear stance... looks silly because when do you ever view a car from that close on the road?

;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts