BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Does anybody have the part numbers to upgrade my satnav/tv on my May 2000 reg M5 to the widescreen version? I have decided to keep my M5 for another year so I want to pamper it and give it a treat!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
M5XDW said:
Hello, Does anybody have the part numbers to upgrade my satnav/tv on my May 2000 reg M5 to the widescreen version? I have decided to keep my M5 for another year so I want to pamper it and give it a treat!:biggrin:
You do not want to buy the wide screen from BMW because you will pay an arm and a leg for it. Instead, get one from Martin Bishop at: http://www.bimmernav.com/

While you are at it, you might want to upgrade to the latest DVD-based navigation computer which is also available from Martin. Or, you can buy a used MK III computer from anyone with a 2001 or 2002 M5 who has upgraded to the DVD-based nav computer. The MK III computer is much faster than your MK II.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DZeckhausen said:
You do not want to buy the wide screen from BMW because you will pay an arm and a leg for it. Instead, get one from Martin Bishop at: http://www.bimmernav.com/

While you are at it, you might want to upgrade to the latest DVD-based navigation computer which is also available from Martin. Or, you can buy a used MK III computer from anyone with a 2001 or 2002 M5 who has upgraded to the DVD-based nav computer. The MK III computer is much faster than your MK II.
Thanks for the info.:byebye:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dave.

You seem to know what you are talking about.
Do you know if it is possible to install a sat/nav - tv system to a '01 m5 that has no system in it at all.It just has the stock buisness radio and 6cd boot changer?if the car is pre wired it would be just a matter of getting the parts i think.??

Is it a big job? and more to the point, is it worth it??

John.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Jaybee said:
You seem to know what you are talking about.
Do you know if it is possible to install a sat/nav - tv system to a '01 m5 that has no system in it at all.It just has the stock buisness radio and 6cd boot changer?if the car is pre wired it would be just a matter of getting the parts i think.??

Is it a big job? and more to the point, is it worth it??
My experience ends at upgrading the screens and the CPUs. I have never done a complete retrofit to a car that didn't originally come with NAV. I know of others who have done it and I have heard it is difficult and expensive. But the price of components may have come down. I would poke around and see if you can find someone who has actually done this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have just had sat nav widescreen retrofitted to my 2000 by Birds. The parts kit from BMW cost £2,398.20 and they charged £489.85 to instal it (all plus VAT). It's the Mk 3 CD (split screen) system. Andy, Birds autoelectric guy, told me that the Mk 4 DVD system is not compatible with the 2000 wiring harness. Yes, it's not cheap but it doesn't half take the stress out of driving, particularly if, like me, your work takes you to a variety of places around the country where you've got a map on your lap all the time. So far, it's worked well, accurately getting me to the front door of a client in the backstreets of Brackley and hotels in the middle of Bradford N.Yorks, Sheffield and other locations. For some odd reason, it refuses to navigate the last few miles to our Wiltshire retreat, which I reckon is down to the UFOs near Warminster! I'll be trying it in France over Xmas where I reckon it'll pay for itself in enabling me to see approaching major intersections and payages on the autoroute where the police usually site radar traps.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Black Magic said:
I have just had sat nav widescreen retrofitted to my 2000 by Birds. The parts kit from BMW cost £2,398.20 and they charged £489.85 to instal it (all plus VAT). It's the Mk 3 CD (split screen) system. Andy, Birds autoelectric guy, told me that the Mk 4 DVD system is not compatible with the 2000 wiring harness. Yes, it's not cheap but it doesn't half take the stress out of driving, particularly if, like me, your work takes you to a variety of places around the country where you've got a map on your lap all the time. So far, it's worked well, accurately getting me to the front door of a client in the backstreets of Brackley and hotels in the middle of Bradford N.Yorks, Sheffield and other locations. For some odd reason, it refuses to navigate the last few miles to our Wiltshire retreat, which I reckon is down to the UFOs near Warminster! I'll be trying it in France over Xmas where I reckon it'll pay for itself in enabling me to see approaching major intersections and payages on the autoroute where the police usually site radar traps.
My car is a MY99 and I've successfully been running MKIV DVD widescreen system for a couple months without any problems, previous to that I had the MKIII unit which worked fine for over a year. ;)

Tin

·
10,445 Posts
Black Magic said:
Andy, Birds autoelectric guy, told me that the Mk 4 DVD system is not compatible with the 2000 wiring harness. .
I also have the mk4 dvd system running in my 00 M5, no issues, plug and play.
Mike

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have just installed the kit from bimmernav with the widescreen and Mk4 computer. It came with the V4.2 software already loaded and a map DVD version 2004.2. My car is a MY2000 with a build date of 10/99.

The system seems to work fine in many respects, but I seem to have lost some of the functionality of the audio system.

For example:
The "info" key on the upper left of the display, and the "select" key on the right side of the "tone" key do not function at all, either in audio mode or in nav mode. I downloaded the manual from bimmernav to understand what these keys should do and they don't work for me as stated in the manual.

The navigation system seems to work fine, except again, it does not have some of the functionality described in the manual.

I don't know if there is a compatibility issue here or if the parts I have are defective. I cannot find a way to contact Martin Bishop at bimmernav to ask questions. Does anyone have his e-mail? Or, if you have suggestions on what is going on with my system, please let me know.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

mottati said:
I also have the mk4 dvd system running in my 00 M5, no issues, plug and play.
Mike

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
sjdennis said:
I don't know if there is a compatibility issue here or if the parts I have are defective. I cannot find a way to contact Martin Bishop at bimmernav to ask questions. Does anyone have his e-mail? Or, if you have suggestions on what is going on with my system, please let me know.
Martin may be reached by sending an email to [email protected].

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just (this past weekend) installed the Bimmernav MKIV computer and widescreen "kit", it was truly plug and play once I found the correct instructions on the Bimmernav website. I emailed Martin at [email protected] and got an automated email saying that he was closed for the holidays, but then he responded personally the same afternoon. All of the buttons on my new unit work as they are suposed to, it is even set up in the UK mode so I don't have to hit the "accept" key every time I start my car.

Regards

·
Registered
29 Posts
On the MKIV upgrade, the reason BMW says "not compatible" seems to be that on some car configurations just upgrading from an earlier system to MKIV, "looses" the soft keys INFO and Select.

This is an easy fix.

Here is a recent discussion on Roadfly
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e38/6064786-1.html

I had the same problem with my unit after a recode at the dealer.
The problem is the Nav brain does not fully recognize your screen. You
can try one of the following:
1. Disconnect and reconnect the battery. This will cause a reboot
of the Nav unit. ( This worked for some)

Warning! Make absolutely sure that the Nav unit has completely
cycled down before disconnecting anything. Usually takes up to 90 seconds. You will know for sure when the red light goes out (key off)

2. Downgrade the software to version v22.1 or LOWER, turn on the navigation system to see it operate and then upgrade again. (This will also cause the unit to reboot, and when you upgrade the software it will scan the Ibus and pick up the new system)

3. Have the unit recoded at the dealer. (My dealer charged me nothing for this but not all dealers are the same.)

You can find the Navigation OS here http://www.x5world.net/nav_os.htm

Regards,
Martin

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
For anyone interested, I have a perfectly good MKIII system that I removed after upgrading to MKIV from Bimmernav. I'll take $475 shipped in the 48 states for it. Comes with 2003.2 set of Navtech maps (bought them earlier this year - comes with all 8 discs) and a carrying case for the CDs. I plan to Ebay it off soon, but if anyone here needs one, now's the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts