BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m thinking of getting wider tires for my beast but really like the factory wheels, so I would like some feedback from your experiences, if you please...

1) Have anyone tried to fit wider tires on the OM wheels?

2) How wide can you go with alternate wheels?

Ricardo

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
I haven't tried wider tires but I defininetly feel the neded go wider rear tires on dry surfaces.

/Johan

·
Registered
372 Posts
- what tires are you guys using now?

- what specifically is the reason you want wider rear tires?

If you're still using factory tires, I'd suggest a change in tire brand will have a bigger (and cheaper) impact than changing wheels and tires. I.E. Bridgestone S02 PP. Most of the BMW M5 / M3 owners I've heard on this have all commented on how much better they stick, wet or dry.

HOWEVER, they have absolutely no tolerance for ice/snow, worse than the Michelin Pilots in this respect. Just a warning.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Grinch:
- what tires are you guys using now?

- what specifically is the reason you want wider rear tires?

If you're still using factory tires, I'd suggest a change in tire brand will have a bigger (and cheaper) impact than changing wheels and tires. I.E. Bridgestone S02 PP. Most of the BMW M5 / M3 owners I've heard on this have all commented on how much better they stick, wet or dry.

HOWEVER, they have absolutely no tolerance for ice/snow, worse than the Michelin Pilots in this respect. Just a warning.

I've been using Michelin Pilot Sport.

Why wider rears? To get them to stick better during acceleration and cornering of course.
Specifillay there is a need for better traction out of corners in order to use all the power better.

Unfortunately, I have to use the same tires in rain so I will stick to 275/35-18 on the rears but will try P Zero Rosso when spring comes.

/Johan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Originally posted by johann:

I meant to say P Zero Rossos, is that what you are using?

/Johan

yes johan. very grippy. there isnt much rain here so they are pretty suited for the weather

1 - 9 of 9 Posts