BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy's poor M5. Some sort of electrical fire I'm guessing because he doesn't actually smoke.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Wow that's terrible. More info please. Molotov cocktail?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Car fires -

1. Fire within the first 20-30 minutes after a car has been driven, more than likely oil leak. Heat soak problem causing oil to flash.
2. Fuel leak typically only causes a fire when the car is running, fuel needs a source of ignition.
3. Electrical usually can happen with car running, however, if the car has been turned off for more than 20-30 minutes, then usually an electrical fire.
4. If not any of the above, most likely vandalism.

Man that is sad.

·
Registered
195 Posts
almost made me cry..... :sad2:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have only found one instance of an M5 with an electrical fire and that was after an after market sound system was installed the following day. Anyone with any firm data on this? Nothing to be found in the search feature except for a fuel fire, and we've all seen the youtube nitrous fire one.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Wow, poor thing :( I feel like a relative has passed away...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Curious, is this something that would be covered under insurance? I guess it depends on the source, please let us know what the source was. :(

·
Registered
164 Posts
For Sale
E39 M5. Needs interior. Smokin Deal!!!

Couldnt resist

Reactions: EMCinco

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I know is he was sitting in traffic and smelled smoke coming from his vents so he pulled off the shoulder and got out of the car. A few minutes later, his entire car was engulfed. A full Dinan S2 no less... I'll try to find out more details...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
All I know is he was sitting in traffic and smelled smoke coming from his vents so he pulled off the shoulder and got out of the car. A few minutes later, his entire car was engulfed. A full Dinan S2 no less... I'll try to find out more details...
Please extend my condolences and I hope everything works out for him. Im curious and now paranoid

·
Registered
50 Posts
Curious, is this something that would be covered under insurance? I guess it depends on the source, please let us know what the source was. :(
Typically it would be covered. Only specific reason why not that I can think of would be fraud. I am not implying anything regarding this particular situation, I underwrote for a major carrier for a few years than that's the only situation I can recall seeing a car fire claim denied for. As always, speak to your claims department for specifics.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Not very common these cars suddenly start to burn...

Curious about the reason!

I got a small fire extinguisher under the driver seat and one of those on the shelf:

Only gotta get around to install it,routing the lines from the trunk is a bit of a PITA...

Also have to install the electronic cut off switch(Porsche GT3 Clubsport part)...

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Thats why I bought that fire extinguisher Raikku!

·
Registered
832 Posts
And now I'm going to buy a fire extinguisher!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say...it's totaled.

LMAO..I am just glad nobody is hurt. I just hope for the sake of the owner the insurance company gets him squared away.

Vic

1 - 20 of 28 Posts