BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this little toy for the wiff as an anniversary present. 88 560sl with kinder seat and euro bumps. 87k miles and a complete respray 8 years ago with a fine black/grey paint that has some clear coating that makes it change colors ever so slightly in different light.

560sl Slideshow by ggil-tx | Photobucket

Couldn't be happier. Got it for $12k including flying up to Plano, TX and driving it home. As I felt I am up about $4500 in value, I decided to put it into the best old benz werkshop in Austin to change all the fluids. Diff, tranny, power steering (plus new hoses) oil and radiator. My indy called me to say the valve cover gaskets were weeping a bit so I said change the gaskets and have a look.

and his comments
Geoffrey,
Here are a few shots of your engine. The first one shows the left cam sprocket and the wear to the teeth, not real bad but enough to warrant replacement during the repair. The top of the broken chain guide rail is also visible. The second shot shows the broken rail from the top and the shiny shaft at the bottom should be inside the guide rail. The last shot shows the broken piece of guide rail that was dragging against the timing chain below it going the other direction. As you can imagine, once the piece tears loose it gets sucked upwards and then caught between the chain and the cam sprocket. Catastrophic failure is the result. The good news is we caught it and the inside of the engine is as pristine as the outside. Nice car!!

Very excited to have caught this potentially fatal failure

·
Registered
123 Posts
To be fair, this is a well-documented weakness on the merc v8 from that era. Plastic guides go brittle and can break up. I haven't heard that there is a similar issue with the bmw s38?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I'd be checking for a grey stetson in the boot , this could be the work of the notorious ghost of JR , note the trademark hat is MISSING

Good you caught the problem :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You watched that TV series Tony ?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
To be fair, this is a well-documented weakness on the merc v8 from that era. Plastic guides go brittle and can break up. I haven't heard that there is a similar issue with the bmw s38?
The tell-tale is the same. A distinct rattle at start up before oil pressure comes up. Though they don't look the same, the catastrophic result of a piece of plastic roaming around the internals is the same. I only posted this to show off and to remind those that if you have done the uprated chain tensioner mod and replaced your plastic chain guide...

We loved the last version of Dallas right before cancer took away JR for good. Larry Hagman's dying wish wash to be cremated and then grown into a field of marijuana so all his friends could roll him up and smoke him. He used to take LSD and film episodes of I dream of Jeannie all wasted, so it made sense that weed helped mitigate his cancer in his final months. He really was one of the finer actors in terms of how he treated film crews IMO

We got this particular sl because the 60's and 70's 280's are way to pricey now for one in top nick and we accidently drove a sweet 76 450sl, but that was the worst version of that car to ever buy bc of all the smog crap they just welded to the exhaust manifold. On advice of a merc indy, he said get the last 3 years of manuf of the 560sl and get the best example you could find, and so I searched for a long time to find this one - with the kinder seat and the bumpers - and not having the added expense of shipping made this a good deal.

Once these chain, chain guides, and sprockets are swapped out, this motor will be bulletproof for easing another 150k miles, and for a sunday cream puff, we'll never get there. Hopefully it will actually appreciate like the older sl's

The added bonus of all this, is one of the techs at the merc shop knows the S38 and can be trusted to do a valve shim job on my M5T, something I haven't done since I've had, because basically I am too nervous to open the engine without the proper experience behind the wrench.

GNG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts