BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
havent really been in the loop since i sold my m3 but my e55 was bought in 03 and the very first m5's wont be till mid 06? but they are in europe since 8/05? with mb the usa is its biggest market ie, we got the cls55 simultaniously (i believe, if not first) with europe. is europe the better market for m5's? really looking to see and drive against one in public. :byee55amg (hmmmmmmm, funny smiley!)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Peter B said:
havent really been in the loop since i sold my m3 but my e55 was bought in 03 and the very first m5's wont be till mid 06? but they are in europe since 8/05? with mb the usa is its biggest market ie, we got the cls55 simultaniously (i believe, if not first) with europe. is europe the better market for m5's? really looking to see and drive against one in public. :byee55amg (hmmmmmmm, funny smiley!)
I've heard the first M5's should be here late '05. Where are you hearing mid '06?

·
Registered
955 Posts
vndkshn said:
I am still hearing Sept/Oct 05 for deliveries, with orders placed in June/July timeframe.
i just met the sales manager of my dealer at a nearby gas station.

he said BMW of Canada (presumably it should be more or less than same for you US folks) had requested dealers to sent in the top names on their waiting lists in by March 4th.

and according the BMW of Canada, the first batch of M5 should arrive between Nov of 2005 to Feb of 2006. though, he has no idea how many cars are in that batch.

·
Registered
714 Posts
tifosi said:
i just met the sales manager of my dealer at a nearby gas station.

he said BMW of Canada (presumably it should be more or less than same for you US folks) had requested dealers to sent in the top names on their waiting lists in by March 4th.

and according the BMW of Canada, the first batch of M5 should arrive between Nov of 2005 to Feb of 2006. though, he has no idea how many cars are in that batch.
can someone else in canada who is within the top names on their list confirm this?
i presumably is 2nd at the dealership (first is the principal owner) and i have not receive any info.
tifosi, have you find out how many are allocated for canada in the first year?

·
Registered
955 Posts
M! said:
can someone else in canada who is within the top names on their list confirm this?
i presumably is 2nd at the dealership (first is the principal owner) and i have not receive any info.
tifosi, have you find out how many are allocated for canada in the first year?
Terk's dealer also contacted him, and told him something along the lines. for what it is worth, he's the first on his dealer's (in Windsor) list.

i think the main reason for BMW of Canada to request for the list might be because they want to determine the demand of the M5 so they can decide on the allocation. at the moment, the sales manager of my dealer still have no idea about the allocation they will get. but he thinks his dealer will get as many car as BMW of Toronto.

i talked to the manager from BMW of Toronto (the biggest dealer in Canada, and is own by BMW of Canada) during the auto show in Toronto. and he reckon he'll be getting 3 to 4 cars monthly, though the number isn't confirmed by BMW of Canada.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you look at most new cars from BMW and Mercedes they get a 1-2 year lead in Europe to "iron things out". Europe is not so lawsuit happy, so if there are problems they can usually be fixed fairly quietly without some lawyer bringing a class action lawsuit.

BMW replaced many (i know of 5 personally) new 7 series in Europe before they straightened out their software problems. Imagine if a problem like that happened here in the land of the 3 million dollar settlement for a repainted fender on a new BMW!!!

Just my 2¢

Peter M

·
Registered
369 Posts
there is no immense delay for usa cars!

the first german cars will be out in april. and the first us cars will arrive in autumn '05. so where is the delay? it is absolutely normal, that the usa will get the cars some month later due to other specs, emission limits and so on. i cannot see any unnormal delay!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
9852147 said:

the first german cars will be out in april. and the first us cars will arrive in autumn '05. so where is the delay? it is absolutely normal, that the usa will get the cars some month later due to other specs, emission limits and so on. i cannot see any unnormal delay!!!
As soon as I get my M5 (6-speed manual).... there will be a model change.... The M5 will be obsolete within two years......Makes no sense to me. They should introduce the M models within 6 months of the new model intro.... :3:

·
Registered
369 Posts
M5_2010 said:
As soon as I get my M5 (6-speed manual).... there will be a model change.... The M5 will be obsolete within two years......Makes no sense to me. They should introduce the M models within 6 months of the new model intro.... :3:
maybe there won't be a facelift for the m5 as you could see it with the m3. the m3 e46 never received a facelift like the normal 3series.

·
Registered
955 Posts
9852147 said:
maybe there won't be a facelift for the m5 as you could see it with the m3. the m3 e46 never received a facelift like the normal 3series.
but that's only for the E46 M3. though, it still receieve LED tail light and wider trunk handle from the facelifted 3-series coupe. which is pretty much the extent E39 M5 recieved for its facelift.

however, BMW changed engine on E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3, E83 M Roadster/M Coupe. when those models were due for facelift.

·
Registered
955 Posts
9852147 said:

there was never a delay for M5 for North America in the sense that it was always schedule to be launched 1 year after Europe, like all other generations before it.

however, since there was many delays of introduction of M5 in Europe, that's why it now appears as if North American is getting M5 shortly after European.

·
Registered
369 Posts
tifosi said:
but that's only for the E46 M3. though, it still receieve LED tail light and wider trunk handle from the facelifted 3-series coupe. which is pretty much the extent E39 M5 recieved for its facelift.

however, BMW changed engine on E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3, E83 M Roadster/M Coupe. when those models were due for facelift.
but they did not change the engine for the most recent models such as e46 and e39. and the "new" led lights or front lights for the e39 can also be installed for the older models.

·
Registered
955 Posts
9852147 said:
but they did not change the engine for the most recent models such as e46 and e39. and the "new" led lights or front lights for the e39 can also be installed for the older models.
but more than 2/3 of M cars had new engines at their facelift.
you are totally right about E46 and E39, but hardly proves the production of S85 engine will last as long as the E60 M5.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
tifosi said:
but more than 2/3 of M cars had new engines at their facelift.
you are totally right about E46 and E39, but hardly proves the production of S85 engine will last as long as the E60 M5.
It may not "prove" that the S85 will last as long, but I wouldn't bet against it. We might see a power increase, but as much money as they spent developing that engine from scratch.. I don't see them ditching it after a couple of years.

·
Registered
714 Posts
but, dont you think for marketing or for whatever MB or Audi is planned, it is inevitable that during the lifespan of the E60 M5 it will need a performance upgrade somewhere somehow?

·
Registered
955 Posts
M! said:
but, dont you think for marketing or for whatever MB or Audi is planned, it is inevitable that during the lifespan of the E60 M5 it will need a performance upgrade somewhere somehow?
the possible power hike in M5's mid life is all speculation.
people were saying exactly same thing about E39 M5, yet nothing was changed to its S62 engine in 2001.

i don't think we should rule out the possibility of the engine upgrade in M5's mid life change. though, i don't think it's very likely.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I'd say the delay in timing was to ramp-up production from a trickle to a drizzle. There was no reason to certify the 2005 M5 model for the US market for 1/2 year, when they won't even be able to meet demand for the home markets. This would make no economic sense for them. They will certify the 2006 model which begins production Sept-Oct of this year. Probably no major changes to the model, but may have worked out some initial issues. Sometimes introducing a new, limited production model to the largest market first with the biggest demand is not good business.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts