BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure a lot of you guys who are using the V-1 may have experienced this, but on occasion, the V-1 can all of a sudden go mad and ring off the hook, indicating that you have been laser gunned. Luckily (or perhaps not, as this is a nuisance), you haven't. If you look around you, there is a good chance you will see the bubbly Infiniti FX35/45 SUV either approaching you, or behind you.

Why, because this vehicle, along with several other high priced sedans have the laser guided cruise control (or often called Active Cruise Control).

A Board member enlightened me on this one first, and indeed this morning when I called the folks at Valentine Research, they admitted to this fault. While no estimated time was provided, they claimed they are working on resolving this. Clearly with more and more cars equipped with this option roaming the roads, it becomes a real problem. The Valentine guys also stated that the same can happen from several GM SUVs that have the LED tail lights - those too are known ro affect the V-1 on occasion.

Perhaps this is mixed good news/bad news: good news being that your V-1 is not broken (which is something that I thought initially), bad news is that there ain't a fix as of yet...

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
The other thing that sets it off is neon rear lights. Many SUVs have them as their 3rd brake light and the Z8 has them for their turnsignals & dusk lights.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Interesting tid bit of info. didn't know that about the neon lights

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I may have misunderstood before, but I thought it was LED lights that triggered laser...

Trail Blazers, active cruise control, anything with LED's, will set of the laser warning, but you have to be pretty close. It happened to me the other day going through a drive thru behind an SUV with LED lights...had to turn off the V1.

Oh, and if you point your V1 at your NAV display, that will set off the laser warning as well... ??????

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
There's a sign on 101 in Redwood City (the Silicon View sign) just slightly south of San Carlos airport... makes the V1 laser detector fire ever single time.

I just think that any coherent light source (laser, led, etc) with sufficient brightness will do it.

Really, the laser detector on a V1 is almost useless- once triggered by a police laser the next thing is the citation. Given the tight collimation of a laser beam, once painted you are dead.

Adam

·
Registered
739 Posts
ard said:
There's a sign on 101 in Redwood City (the Silicon View sign) just slightly south of San Carlos airport... makes the V1 laser detector fire ever single time.

I just think that any coherent light source (laser, led, etc) with sufficient brightness will do it.

Really, the laser detector on a V1 is almost useless- once triggered by a police laser the next thing is the citation. Given the tight collimation of a laser beam, once painted you are dead.

Adam
Adam - I agree with the useless part. In South Florida they use instant on laser. THe other day the cop stepped from behind a tree, radar gun in hand - by the time the V1 went off it was too late for me!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Silverstreak said:
Adam - I agree with the useless part. In South Florida they use instant on laser. THe other day the cop stepped from behind a tree, radar gun in hand - by the time the V1 went off it was too late for me!
3 years ago I'm in West Palm Beach in a rental car... I see this guy standing in the street, looks like a crossing guard monitor with this vest thingy on...DUH, Cop, Lidar.

Luckily, in FL you guys just pay the ticket mill attorney to fight ti, pay the fine, get a 'withhold adjudication' no points no nothing!

CA is different.... :crying:

A

PS I assume you just mistyped 'radar' when you meant laser... pop radar might be worth fighting...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Silverstreak said:
Cops.... that is really lame. Too bad you didn't have a Lidatek.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
ard said:
My V1 has alerted me to laser being used on the car in front of me. No detector is a perfect solution for any form of instant-on, they just improve the odds. The only hope you have is to catch them using it on someone else before you arrive. But this happens all the time for me...

·
Registered
739 Posts
You do get your moments of satisfaction, though. The other day an SUV cut me off and took off. I of course gave chase. Just as we rounded the first curve, there was the officer, laser gun in hand. My V1 went off like crazy, but it was the SUV he pulled over. He never saw me behind the SUV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts