BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are there so many e60 m5 for sale in the for sale section? Is it a good time to sell? I see asking prices all over the place, it would be nice to see how much these cars are actually selling for. There is even one asking 39k for a 08 with almost 80k miles :eek:h:. Just would like thoughts on why so many people are selling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why are there so many e60 m5 for sale in the for sale section? Is it a good time to sell? I see asking prices all over the place, it would be nice to see how much these cars are actually selling for. There is even one asking 39k for a 08 with almost 80k miles :eek:h:. Just would like thoughts on why so many people are selling.
I think there was an eclipse yesterday? Maybe a full moon, not sure. :haha2:

Reactions: MIGHTY5

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was thinking of selling mines. The easy power you are getting from these bi turbos makes you want to switch. Cls63/E63 m157 engines are making ridicoulous power with just a tune.. I think like 700hp/831tq.. For only $3000 you just cant beat it. If i sell my m5 im only asking about 31k.. It has about 62k on the dash, alpine white on black interior

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
rod bearings..
Hah.

Well, most people bought it because it was the best 4 door sedan at the time. It's no longer the fastest, and it always had reliability problems. Plus the tech gadgets on it are getting kind of dated. So people are dropping the ball and opting out for something new.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hah.

Well, most people bought it because it was the best 4 door sedan at the time. It's no longer the fastest, and it always had reliability problems. Plus the tech gadgets on it are getting kind of dated. So people are dropping the ball and opting out for something new.
It may not be the quickest, but what other sedan can go over 200 mph stock?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i'm just being an ***. i just bought mine back in December and have only put 6k miles on the clock. I'm not selling anytime soon. NA V10 is never going to happen again.

I think some owners are up there in mileage and afraid of what might be lurking around the corner. Whether its a catastrophic failure or maintenance some owners probably don't want to drop $3-$10k on their car. yes, there are better equipped sedans, but their will never be a NA v10. Head of M is just another suit. He was quoted stating the word budget on another forum. tells me all i need to know on the future of M.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/89061/bmw-m-would-love-a-standalone-supercar

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It may not be the quickest, but what other sedan can go over 200 mph stock?
How many people out of the ones who owned an E60 M5 have taken it over 200mph? How many people live next to places where they can take it to over 200mph?

Realistically, 200mph is just a bragging figure.

Most people only care about 0-60 times and the top speed limits somewhere within 160mph. usually around those speed limits, you're either demolishing someone or being demolished. All of the difference is made from 0-60 and then the engine pulling power past 120mph.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
i'm just being an ***. i just bought mine back in December and have only put 6k miles on the clock. I'm not selling anytime soon. NA V10 is never going to happen again.

I think some owners are up there in mileage and afraid of what might be lurking around the corner. Whether its a catastrophic failure or maintenance some owners probably don't want to drop $3-$10k on their car. yes, there are better equipped sedans, but their will never be a NA v10. Head of M is just another suit. He was quoted stating the word budget on another forum. tells me all i need to know on the future of M.
Lmao a buddy of mine knows about cars but he is totally JDM so no M knowledge at all, other than "its a fast car".

I told him that I redline at 8500 and he was like "oh nice, yeah that's on the proper level. It's a V6 right?"
"No, it's a V10"

"WTF V10 at 8500rpm?! HOLY $#!+!!!1"

Pretty much how that conversation went.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How many people out of the ones who owned an E60 M5 have taken it over 200mph? How many people live next to places where they can take it to over 200mph?

Realistically, 200mph is just a bragging figure.

Most people only care about 0-60 times and the top speed limits somewhere within 160mph. usually around those speed limits, you're either demolishing someone or being demolished. All of the difference is made from 0-60 and then the engine pulling power past 120mph.
I get what you are saying, but to me this car is so much more than a quick 0-60 time. If I just wanted a quick car I would have a modded GTR, but the list of things that make a e60 m5 unique is long. Most other newer quicker cars are turbocharged with a off the shelf engines that are even put in SUV's. Needless to say I won't be selling my beast anytime soon, it's something we will probably never see again.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
People get that itch after a certain number of years to try something new and I guess that itch is contagious.......like the Ebola virus hiha

The M5 was never a great 0-60 car but did well for a heavy sedan.

Reactions: carcus

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I reckon there are so many M5 cars for sale because F10 has been out now for few years and prices of used F10s have come down. I think for some especially those without warranty the fear of s85 engine failure is making the decision easier for them :grinyes:
I got rid of my car as soon as the engine warranty was out. This on a car that had already had engine failure at 40k and you better believe i was not holding on to that car for 2nd engine failure :grinyes:

In spite of all the headache though, E60 is easily the best car i ever owned in terms of comfort, performance and overall balance.
The M5 is def not a great 0-60 especially E60 with almost zero torque in low rpms.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Not "good" 0-60?

I reckon there are so many M5 cars for sale because F10 has been out now for few years and prices of used F10s have come down. I think for some especially those without warranty the fear of s85 engine failure is making the decision easier for them :grinyes:
I got rid of my car as soon as the engine warranty was out. This on a car that had already had engine failure at 40k and you better believe i was not holding on to that car for 2nd engine failure :grinyes:

In spite of all the headache though, E60 is easily the best car i ever owned in terms of comfort, performance and overall balance.
The M5 is def not a great 0-60 especially E60 with almost zero torque in low rpms.
I guess it is slow if you are comparing it to an aircraft carrier cat shot, some mid engine newport beach penis extension, or a 30+psi 4wd japanese rally car...With carbon filters off and euro smg s/w i am pretty sure mine is doing it in the very low 4s...

They are not cheap to maintain if you roll into the dealer every time something goes wrong which is why they are so cheap to buy now...With some skill and input from some very very talented and helpful folks on this board, maintenance and repairs can be held to a reasonable level...

Reactions: Braheem24

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lmao a buddy of mine knows about cars but he is totally JDM so no M knowledge at all, other than "its a fast car".

I told him that I redline at 8500 and he was like "oh nice, yeah that's on the proper level. It's a V6 right?"
"No, it's a V10"

lol...classic

·
Registered
62 Posts
The dealer offered me 17,000 to trade it in. 😩
2006 88k miles. Black on black with over $6k in maintenance done at the same dealer in the last 6 months.

·
Registered
402 Posts

"No, it's a V10"

kind of how the conversation went with my dad. He is an old school muscle guy. I picked him up at the air port and he went straight in to all the "why did you waste your money on a german car" blah blah blah then when he was mid sentence I stepped on the gas and he shut up real quick

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
honestly, I've never really compared our s85 v10 to the new f10 v8. it's completely apples and oranges. I get the whole selling something "old" and getting something "newer" but that itch never hit me (or at least not yet) and I don't really see myself selling my car and replacing it with an f10. i'd love to get an f10 and feel that it's more refined, but there's something about my NA s85 that I can't let go of..

Dan

·
Registered
161 Posts
The dealer offered me 17,000 to trade it in. 😩
2006 88k miles. Black on black with over $6k in maintenance done at the same dealer in the last 6 months.
Not surprising at all. Dealer will always try to low ball you. The prices have dropped tremendously in the past couple of years. Low mileage e39 M5's are going for the same money as low mileage e60 examples. There's one for sale on the forum and he wants 28k for a '02 with 44k miles. I paid $28k for my '06 with 24k miles about 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
IMO it's pretty standard stuff when BMWs (specifically M cars) get within reach of the masses. Not that that is a bad thing. I was actually having this conversation with my dad yesterday. Here I am your average joe looking for a car under 30k. Oh, wow, a BMW M5, MY DREAM CAR! I can get one for 29k, that's so cheap! I would much rather have that than a new hyndai or used camry, PURCHASE!

What!?!?!? Brakes cost HOW MUCH?
WHAT?!?! OIL CHANGE COSTS HOW MUCH?
WTF - MY ENGINE LIGHT IS ON, 5k FOR WHAT?!?!

SELL SELL SELL.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts