BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this question has been asked many times already in the past but I did a search and didnt find anything.

What was the reason again why our M5's have no spare tire?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I thought it was because we have a staggered setup and having a spare that would only fit one of the 2 sizes wouldn't be useful? I think thats why I have a 24hr BMW roadside assistance sticker in the trunk.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I thought it was the dual exhaust system that took up the space for the spare tire well. A space-saver spare can be designed to fit a staggered wheel layout.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So what happens if we get a flat? (sorry, new at this as well)

·
Registered
929 Posts
So what happens if we get a flat? (sorry, new at this as well)
More to the point, what does your significant other do if it happens at night in a dodgy district? That's why I use runflats, even though most board members think that the performance compromise isn't worth it.

:M5launch:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Here's my guess. The M5 has no spare because:

!) it's not a pedestrian heavy duty use car that gets treated like an off-road vehicle therefore the incidence of flat tires is lower
2) the retail vehicle pricepoint is high such that obligating owners to install expensive runflats is reasonable
3) typical M5 owner does not want to change a tire on the berm of the road and will pay extra to avoid it
4) the E39 rear trunk area is marginal for storing a tire plus allowing sufficient room for adequate dual exhaust mufflers underneath
5) The lack of spare tire slightly improves M performance wrt handling and acceleration.
6) BMW does not consider the desires of the third and fourth owner of these cars who buys a $25K worn vehicle & typically more sensitive about cash flow and more willing to get their fingers dirty.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
931 Posts
The M tire kit spray goop is only good for nail punctures, not cuts. So you could be out of luck. Roadside Assistance... no way! Takes too long to get service.

I carry a full size spare (front tire size) on an extra front rim. The tire is universal direction for use on any corner. I also have a small hydraulic jack (Pep Boy's) and tools all in the trunk. The tire is strapped down.

I had a cut tire a while back.... 5 minutes to switch wheels and I am on my way. No waiting!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I always thought the spare was eliminated due to the rear mount battery taking up so much room. Do other E39 (non-M5) have a rear mount battery?

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. For E39 540i and 528i (I owned both), the battery is located on the right rear of the trunk, behind the right brake light on the bottom shelf.

I always thought the spare was eliminated due to the rear mount battery taking up so much room. Do other E39 (non-M5) have a rear mount battery?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Whatheheck,

Even if the car had a spare, would you really want your wife to be out changing the tire in a "dodgy" part of town, late at night?

I would have her lock the doors and call you, and then AAA.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have wondered this as well.

My M3 has a staggered setup and it has a spare tire, so I don't think that is the issue.

The most logical thing is logistically it doesn't fit well and they think roadside assistance is adequate. I'm highly doubting that, although I have never used the service so I shouldn't really judge.

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hi Al.

My wife will never ever change tires. As far as she's concerned - that's a man's job. That's why we've always had AAA.

I dont like changing tires either, that's why not only we have AAA, I also have the BMW Optional Road Side Assistance. I pay extra for this every year as I have asked many times from dealership and BMW of NA and no one can tell for sure if the M5 roadside assistance we have with the car when purchased new is transferrable to subsequent owners as I am not the original owner of my beast.

Since I have all three road side assistance benefits above, someone better freaking come ASAP whenever I get a flat tire!

BTW, my wife doesnt drive my beast. Only me.

And for protection in case I get a flat tire in a bad neighborhood, I have a 357 Smith & Wesson Mag and a Sig P226 40 for personal protection from the bad guys.

I am just curious why BMW opted not to install a spare tire on M5's.

Does the E46 M3 or the new E60 M5 have spare tire?
All M cars have no spare tire?

Whatheheck,

Even if the car had a spare, would you really want your wife to be out changing the tire in a "dodgy" part of town, late at night?

I would have her lock the doors and call you, and then AAA.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
Hi Al.

I am just curious why BMW opted not to install a spare tire on M5's.
There is no room. The battery in the rear takes up what would be the rest of the spare tire well. If the well was added back, then there would be no room for the dual exhaust. I suspect BMW simply didn't want to pour money into reengineering the rear trunk floor to accomodate a spare.

Other benefits, such as lighter weight and low cost are also a consideration, although IMHO not the main ones.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: whatheheck

·
Registered
160 Posts
It has to be because they didn't want to re-engineer the rear floorpan. If it were weight savings, we wouldn't have a 63lbs battery and mufflers that weigh as much as my entire Z3. Ok, the last was an exaggeration, but you get the point. To me, any other argument is BS.

Reactions: Superfluid

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think the weight issue is to help get the near 50/50 front to rear weight distribution. Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
295 Posts
The lack of a spare tire was a regular discussion/comlaint on other forums while I was driving my 07-335i.
With the 335i you get runflats, but no mobility kit like the M's get.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts