BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Translation for those out in the colonies!

Fettle-, to fiddle with, continually adjust, tweak, hone, improve. Fettling-to annoy the wife, wasting time in her eyes.

Anyway, car has been 'pinking' on and off, with slight loss of power and occasional rhythmic hissing/ticking noise. MPG has also been down.

So I was under the bonnet checking levels and I noticed the breather pipe on the flying saucer thingy? Was not fully locked in position. I pushed it fully on, heard the click. Car now back to normal!

Get out there guys, go right now and fettle!!!!

Attachments

Reactions: drinkmaker

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jim

As per your instructions, the PLCD cured the SMG issue, saving me ££££ in labour charges and all is good, you sir, are a legend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the flying saucer thing is the SAI valve (adds extra air to exhaust at startup). The line would be a vacuum line, so you basically had a pretty major vacuum leak.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Now that I read about this... My beast's Air Injection Hose is also bad, the locking end of the hose is pretty badly worn out, I am guessing it is due to the heat...

But I do have a question... What exactly does that hose do? and if we have a leak there, what are the symptoms?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you can view this link, you'll see the layout of the SAI system.

RealOEM.com   BMW E63 M6 Pollutant reduction pipes

The hose into the valve comes from a blower motor, that runs on startup. It injects air into the exhaust to help with combustion through a cold exhaust.

I'm not as familiar with the way the S85 works, but in the older Land Rovers (discovery2), an SAI fault will set a check engine light, as the ECU monitors the O2 sensor, and watches for a change in oxygen level when the system runs.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts