BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, before everyone back fires at me, i test drove the M5 a few days ago, and i loved everything about, the ride was brilliant and pure amazing. my only complaint is that when i set the SMG to 6 with power on and floored the car, take off wasnt as fast as i would have expected, at high range RPM the car blasted off, but take off felt a bit slower than i expected.......now, there are two things i need to mention, the demo car only had 1700kilometers on it, which is approx. 1056 miles, plus we were 3 people in total(sales person, my friend and i). as you can tell the car is brand new, the engine has extremly low milage, and i felt it had to be driven more to open up the engine and break-in, plus the extra 2 passengers didn't help the situation. Are those the reasons why the M5 didnt feel as quick? or do all M5 feel that way?(my E46 M3 felt quicker).

i ask because i'm buying the car in a few days, and need to know to clear out any doubts.

btw, is the difference between "Sport" and "M"? and last what is "EDC"?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Are you aware that when you start the M5 it only has 400hp?

Push a button and you have 507hp :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Hello :)

First of all, we've done 3400 km in our M5 so far, and yes, it is running at full rpm range now. In S6, the car will make quite a lot of wheel spinning if you floor it, because DSC (anti-wheelie) is turnt off. So try with S5 instead, but anyways, I must somehow agree with you that the car just needs this little punch to get going, probably it is caused by the totalt weight of the car, the it's harder to accelerate a heavier obstacle than a leighter one (M3 vs. M5).

Actually we've noticed that the car doesn't start blowing off untill it gets up to 4,5k - 5,5k rpm but then, when you reach these rpm and up, you start moving REALLY fast... It is completely mind blowing for those of you who havent tried P500 yet when you reach 7k - 8,25k rpm for the first time. It's scaring..

To the run in part, the car will probably gain 30 - 40 hp or so during the break-in period (if i'm not totally off), so you shouldn't be able to notice this very much.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
And EDC is Elektronische Dämpfer Controlle, also known as how hard the suspension is set.

No lights = Comfort mode
1 light = Normal mode
2 lights = Sport mode

It has almost no influence on the performance, and none influence at all at the engine power..

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Anyways, you won't notice it at the stoplight, as soon at the car get going, it wont stop :p

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MortenDK said:
Hello :)

First of all, we've done 3400 km in our M5 so far, and yes, it is running at full rpm range now. In S6, the car will make quite a lot of wheel spinning if you floor it, because DSC (anti-wheelie) is turnt off. So try with S5 instead, but anyways, I must somehow agree with you that the car just needs this little punch to get going, probably it is caused by the totalt weight of the car, the it's harder to accelerate a heavier obstacle than a leighter one (M3 vs. M5).

Actually we've noticed that the car doesn't start blowing off untill it gets up to 4,5k - 5,5k rpm but then, when you reach these rpm and up, you start moving REALLY fast... It is completely mind blowing for those of you who havent tried P500 yet when you reach 7k - 8,25k rpm for the first time. It's scaring..

To the run in part, the car will probably gain 30 - 40 hp or so during the break-in period (if i'm not totally off), so you shouldn't be able to notice this very much.
what is run in part? you mean after break-in period? how does it gain 30-40hp?

so on a 1 on 1, M5 vs M3, which car would be faster to 60 Miles?

i ask because m M3 feels much faster now, than it did when it only had 4000 kilometers on it. i take it cars in general loosen up and drive faster and quicker once you rack up the milage on them...right?

Ashok and Gustav, i need your help.....i need to make a decision to purchase the car tomorrow. ??????

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I once read somewhere that a car havent attained its full power untill 15k km... So there might be something about it.

But with Launch Control, the M3 wouldn't stand a chance, the M5 fires off in perfect rev position, and it goes off like a rocket as soon as you release that gear lever..

·
Registered
766 Posts
Marwan,

If you're buying a new M5 for 0-30mph, you're buying the wrong car. Get a new Z06 corvette, or almost any other car with displacement or turbo and 450+ HP.

The M5 starts to shine once the revs are up, and then not much will accelerate faster, especially at higher velocities. It's not really meant for the stoplight crowd/dragracers, more for the autobahn crowd with some curves thrown in and lots of luxury.

Another free opinion...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just buy the thing already! You will love it, and yes it will be faster then your M3 in every aspect, even the track I guess.

GO FOR IIT!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jessem said:
Marwan,

If you're buying a new M5 for 0-30mph, you're buying the wrong car. Get a new Z06 corvette, or almost any other car with displacement or turbo and 450+ HP.

The M5 starts to shine once the revs are up, and then not much will accelerate faster, especially at higher velocities. It's not really meant for the stoplight crowd/dragracers, more for the autobahn crowd with some curves thrown in and lots of luxury.

Another free opinion...
no no no no....don't get me wrong, i hate people that buy cars for 0-60, after all i have owned two M3s in the past, so you know what i mean. Corvettes are the ugliest thing i have ever seen, period!

anyways, i think i came across in a wrong way, i'm more of a person that enjoys the pleasure of driving an M3/M5 than those that want to drag race and act like rockets.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MortenDK said:
I once read somewhere that a car havent attained its full power untill 15k km... So there might be something about it.

But with Launch Control, the M3 wouldn't stand a chance, the M5 fires off in perfect rev position, and it goes off like a rocket as soon as you release that gear lever..
makes sence, since my M3 didn't show it's true M colors till the engine hit the 10k and above.

the dealer has the M5 i want, i'll trade in my M3 today and get the M5.

thought my heart is broken on the M3 :( ....do any of you get withdrawals when trading your old car or purchasing a new one? :M5launch:

·
Registered
277 Posts
The M5 should easily be faster than the M3 at any speed. If you are sure that you were in the p500 mode then probably there was something wrong with the car.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Mardeth said:
The M5 should easily be faster than the M3 at any speed. If you are sure that you were in the p500 mode then probably there was something wrong with the car.
I believe the 0-60 time difference between the M5 and the M3 is at most 0.2 seconds (4.8 sec for M3, 4.6 secs for M5). So if the M5 is faster, it's not easy to discern.

As for car gaining 10-15 HP with break in, that's highly unlikely. Proper break-in is for the seating of the rings and wearing in of the cylinder components, etc. It is more for long term oil consumption and engine reliability than actual power output.

As for the E60 M5 not showing much oomph at low RPM that's because of it's relative low torque (368 ft # vs 505 HP). As many observed and correctly point out, the 'thrust' comes on at 4k-4.5k RPM. One needs to drive the E60 M5 a little like the M3 or the GT3, i.e. you want oomph, you need revs. In that regards, I believe the E39 M5 may show more low end grunt than the E60 M5. But also as many have observed, from 90 MPH - 150 MPH or so, the E60 will probably walk away from the E39 M5.

Well, few cars are perfect, so we just have to enjoy what we have.

Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chunpng said:
I believe the 0-60 time difference between the M5 and the M3 is at most 0.2 seconds (4.8 sec for M3, 4.6 secs for M5). So if the M5 is faster, it's not easy to discern.

As for car gaining 10-15 HP with break in, that's highly unlikely. Proper break-in is for the seating of the rings and wearing in of the cylinder components, etc. It is more for long term oil consumption and engine reliability than actual power output.

As for the E60 M5 not showing much oomph at low RPM that's because of it's relative low torque (368 ft # vs 505 HP). As many observed and correctly point out, the 'thrust' comes on at 4k-4.5k RPM. One needs to drive the E60 M5 a little like the M3 or the GT3, i.e. you want oomph, you need revs. In that regards, I believe the E39 M5 may show more low end grunt than the E60 M5. But also as many have observed, from 90 MPH - 150 MPH or so, the E60 will probably walk away from the E39 M5.

Good luck.

CP
thanks for the info chun, i'm at work and awaiting a call from my dealer regarding the M5 delivery. i haven been thinking about this for a week now and my brain is seriously exhaisted, my head hurts and i didnt sleep well yesterday :(

anyways, the M5 would be my only drive(daily driver), i chose the M5 because i wanted a 4 door family car and a performance car in one(i've always been driving M3s), now i'm a married man and a father of two twin girls, so i need the extra door and space. my other question is, does the M5 qualify as a family car? i jsut hope it's not harsh or noisey on the family members. thoughts?

thanks again!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Marwan,

Congratulations on the twin girls. We definitely needs pics of those beauties. lovelove lovelove

The M5 is a wonderful family sedan. The 4 doors mean that the young ones can go in and out of their car-seats much more comfortably. Is is much more civilized and pampering than the M3. It is not Lexus-grade smooth and quiet, but it is very comfortable in the cabin, definitely family-friendly. Certainly a much better ride quality than the M3.

However, being a sedan, it means all the baby stuff are in the trunk. If you, or the Mrs. needs something, you are stopping the car and opening the trunk. That is why station wagons and minivans are so popular for families with small kids, as you can reach EVERYTHING, all inside the car. But then, you cannot compare the driving pleasure with what an M5 can offer.

The M5 is a very safe car (don't ask how I know). If you are carrying precious cargo, that's a BIG plus in my book.

Good luck and enjoy your ride.

CP

·
Registered
178 Posts
For an optimal start try the Launch Control then you'll unleash all the power :hihi:.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I agree with what's been said about launch control and low torque. I am still running mine in (less than 1000 miles) so I'm not in a position to add any other comments yet...

·
Registered
445 Posts
chunpng said:

Good luck.

CP
your dreaming if you think theres only 0.2s in it!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts