BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. last week i drove a lamborghini gallardo spyder and the exhaust sounded amazing, also the f-430 sounds amazing too. My friend jsut got a aston martin vantage and his stock exhaust is amazingly loud.

so this is my questions, our beasts have a V10, just like the lambo. the F430 and vantage have a V8 so why is our exhaust so low toned and not as loud as theses other cars when we have almost the same engine size and horsepower?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am not exactly sure what the reason is but I will make an observation.

In the three cars mentioned, the stock exhaust is loud and conspicuous, just like the car is- ferrari, lambo, and aston martin are loud, exotic cars just by their looks, which prompts them to have a loud, exotic exhaust to fit the look. I suppose when the money is spent buying an exotic like that you want to be seen AND heard, not just seen. I'm guessing that's why the Carrera GT exhaust is blazingly loud and exotic- just like the car

In the M5, it is not meant to be an over-the-top exotic show-off car. I feel that BMW makes subtle, beautiful, elegant, civilized cars that have presence, but not that defined exotic feel of the other Italians and Brits.

So, only fitting, they fit the M5 with the exhaust civilized enough to be on a BMW, yet racy enough for a sportscar (high-rev, high-pitch growl). I think it fits the car perfectly. It is the perfect tone for the stock car, but then again, people's taste differs. I am going for Dinan exhaust soon for the lower, more pronounced note.

Then again, you could just get a Meisterschaft GT and show up all those cars. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try changing the exhaust to Tubi rumour with Eisennman x-pipe and then you don't hear those cars when they are near you.:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
It's not a hot rod, it's a sport TOURING CAR.....HEAVY, FAT, fun to drive ROAD CAR..............not too loud, just throuty enough for some.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Stock sounds perfect to me and doesn't draw to much attention.
My neighbors told my wife "we know when your husband leaves. It sounds like a jet starting up in the morning" (with stock exhaust).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I actually think that the stock exhaust has a great note. Its definitely loud and aggressive enough to grab your attention but not in the bad way like so many after market systems.

Plus the exhaust also breaks in over time and we rarely hear it from the outside. Dont forget how much insulation work goes into the M5. Let someone else drive your car while you are outside and let them go full throttle and pull up on you and see if you still really feel you need something louder.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Anything stock BMW is going to be on the quiet side, especially a 4 door. If you like it loud get Evosport headers and Eisenmann Race Exhaust. You will wake up the next 3 subdivisions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
994 Posts
I actually think that the stock exhaust has a great note. Its definitely loud and aggressive enough to grab your attention but not in the bad way like so many after market systems.

Plus the exhaust also breaks in over time and we rarely hear it from the outside. Dont forget how much insulation work goes into the M5. Let someone else drive your car while you are outside and let them go full throttle and pull up on you and see if you still really feel you need something louder.
I fully agree. However, I listen to my friend drive HIS 06- no ones' driving my car. (apart from the gf when I've been on the wine!)

On this topic, I read an article and an M engineer actually said how they made sure the M5 exhaust fitted in with what I'm going to shorthand as "its businessman's express" image while the M6 they made louder.

·
Registered
316 Posts

In the three cars mentioned, the stock exhaust is loud and conspicuous, just like the car is- ferrari, lambo, and aston martin are loud, exotic cars just by their looks, which prompts them to have a loud, exotic exhaust to fit the look. I suppose when the money is spent buying an exotic like that you want to be seen AND heard, not just seen. I'm guessing that's why the Carrera GT exhaust is blazingly loud and exotic- just like the car

In the M5, it is not meant to be an over-the-top exotic show-off car. I feel that BMW makes subtle, beautiful, elegant, civilized cars that have presence, but not that defined exotic feel of the other Italians and Brits.

So, only fitting, they fit the M5 with the exhaust civilized enough to be on a BMW, yet racy enough for a sportscar (high-rev, high-pitch growl). I think it fits the car perfectly. It is the perfect tone for the stock car, but then again, people's taste differs. I am going for Dinan exhaust soon for the lower, more pronounced note.

Then again, you could just get a Meisterschaft GT and show up all those cars. :D
Think you are right on the money. Its a refined supersedan not an exotic.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am curious to see if anyone has acutally put a M6 exhaust on his M5? With a little tweaking, it may fit. You maintain the civilized BMW exhaust note, only a little louder than stock M5. :hihi:

·
Registered
218 Posts
With no disrespect to those who have modified their exhausts, if I was going to modify my M5, the exhaust would not be one of the parts. The stock sound is great, and also I have a feeling that if I made the exhaust louder then I am a bit like the Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi/Subaru Fast and Furious folks annoying everyone else here in Southern California. Oh, one more thing. My car is leased.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Anything stock BMW is going to be on the quiet side, especially a 4 door. If you like it loud get Evosport headers and Eisenmann Race Exhaust. You will wake up the next 3 subdivisions. :thumbsup:
If someone is living in a sub division and driving an M5, they put their money in the wrong place. I say move into an upscale established neighborhood first, pay off the house, then blow money on an M5! - then they will hear your car from next door, or the next street (not down the block in some tract house). More to the point, one of the things that would turn me off the car is having to listen to a loud obnoxious exhaust all day. The M5 does exactly what I want it to do. It goes fast, with almost super car performance, doesn't make a fuss about it or draw attention to itself and doesn't look much different that a regular 5 series. Mission accomplished BMW. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
If someone is living in a sub division and driving an M5, they put their money in the wrong place. I say move into an upscale established neighborhood first, pay off the house, then blow money on an M5! - then they will hear your car from next door, or the next street (not down the block in some tract house). More to the point, one of the things that would turn me off the car is having to listen to a loud obnoxious exhaust all day. The M5 does exactly what I want it to do. It goes fast, with almost super car performance, doesn't make a fuss about it or draw attention to itself and doesn't look much different that a regular 5 series. Mission accomplished BMW. :)
Some sub-divisions are quite elite and upscale. Sub-divisions in the states do not mean project housing or government subsidized housing, it just denotes a small private gated or non-gated community in the suburbs.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You should feel lucky. Your ///M6 is a bit Louder than our ///M5's! You can remove your resonator for around $150 Bucks and it will make car exhaust note a little more aggressive. I had mine removes and over the last two weeks it had progressively gotten better. There is definitely a difference!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
It is the type of car. BMW spends like 15% of development time on their cars by making them sound like BMW's. So if you close your eyes, you know not only its a BMW, but what kind of BMW it is.

The Roadsters sound deeper then the coupes and the coupes deeper then the sedans.

That is why the 550 and 750 don't sound the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some sub-divisions are quite elite and upscale. Sub-divisions in the states do not mean project housing or government subsidized housing, it just denotes a small private gated or non-gated community in the suburbs.

additionally, some of us have a whole retirement check to do whatever we want with....while we use our post retirement income to live in reality - buy the house, take care of everything else.....

la cantera is a small "sub division" area in san antonio....the likes of eva longoria and tony parker live there....surely not slummin it....

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

+1 The Stock exhaust fits the persona of the car........that being said aftermarket is buyers' choice.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I watch a program that showed each BMW M5 going through an Acoustic chamber where the "sound guy" tuned the exhaust note to match a frequency profile. I had no idea BMW spent so much time and effort with it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts