BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the top hose today as slight leak and the plastic pipe that runs from the top hose to the head basically disintegrated when handled. Very brittle anr pretty unsubstantial except for each end that has a copper insert to allow clamping of the hose/s. I'd be interested to know the design justification for this pipe - why isn't it a rubber hose? If yours is as brittle as mine, much movement of the top hose (as per the Aseanaero thread) and the pipe will fracture. As an aside, bit irritating to discover that although this pipe was only 10GBP, the 2" piece of rubber hose that connects it to the head was 29GBP as it comes in a metre length! Serves me right for ordering parts without asking the prices.

Chris

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
When you have dissimilar metals in a coolant circuit you get a battery effect and material becomes a sacrificial anode. Plastic makes sense for lots of applications. Friends and colleagues from the US will disagree heavily with me on that.

Shame yours was so knackered. Mine appears OK. Recently removed engine and refitted with no issues.

How are you with coolant - it is replaced regularly etc? Temperature has a pretty major effect above 110C depending on the type of plastic and any steam that may have gone through the pipe may have degraded it.

If you run a good coolant mix and the temperature is regulating OK, you shouldn't have a repeat issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts