BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoyed the "oil poll" thread, and noticed that some of the european members mentioned that their owners manuals recommended 10W60. Are their engines different than US engines?

I plan on keeping the M5 for the long haul and therefore want to use an oil that will offer the most protection.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
its true..even some US market m5's were told to run the 10W-60, i believe it depended on what year and what number in the series you were for that year.

·
10,456 Posts
sublimaze said:
I enjoyed the "oil poll" thread, and noticed that some of the european members mentioned that their owners manuals recommended 10W60. Are their engines different than US engines?

I plan on keeping the M5 for the long haul and therefore want to use an oil that will offer the most protection.

Thanks
Well, some might say bmwna want the US to use 5/30 oil because it's cheaper and they're paying for scheduled maintanence!

·
Registered
767 Posts
sublimaze said:

Thanks
I've asked this question to people in germany and have been told 10W60 is the recommendation. This has led me to conclude that BMWNA tried to switch oils to save money on maintenence and/or meet emmisions levels. Interesting how they switched again to recommending either oil. I have always wondered what modivated that decision.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The first batch of E39 M5s (in Europe) drank oil like nobody's business, and that was also true of the first few US M5's here for the 00 model year. I heard BMW changed to a 5W30 when they updated the piston rings on the S62 engine. Mine has a recommended 10W60.. build date 3/00. Didn't think (at the time) it had to do with economics.

·
10,456 Posts
While what you say is mostly true (many 00's do not use oil howerver, and some later model years do) what brought this up was that in europe, m5's use 10/60 regardless of production. I remember a story of a local m5 owner who did euro delivery of his m5 and brought it in to a dealer in germany for it's 1200 mile service. The german dealer could not understand why there was a 5/30 decal under the hood, insisting the m5 used 10/60.
Mike

Anzir said:
The first batch of E39 M5s (in Europe) drank oil like nobody's business, and that was also true of the first few US M5's here for the 00 model year. I heard BMW changed to a 5W30 when they updated the piston rings on the S62 engine. Mine has a recommended 10W60.. build date 3/00. Didn't think (at the time) it had to do with economics.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have always used Castrol SLX - as that is what all the guides in Halfords say is recommended for the ///M's .

It is 5W-30 - and therefore reflects the later recommendation as mine is a 2001 model.

The price difference in the various oils also show that SLX is the one for M5 owners!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
My M5 was built 5/00. The sticker under the hood says use 10W60 but I thought I read that US built cars after 3/00 can use 5W30. Is this true or should I continue to use 10W60?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
hudson said:
My M5 was built 5/00. The sticker under the hood says use 10W60 but I thought I read that US built cars after 3/00 can use 5W30. Is this true or should I continue to use 10W60?

Thanks
Joe
My understanding is that early 2000s need 10/60 although I cannot remember the switch date. If the sticker says 10/60 I would tend to believe it. Additionally, some members here use 10/60 regardless of the build date. Because of the climate in which I live and viscosity issues, I will continue to use the 5/30 recommended by BMWNA.

There are HUGE posts about this topic if you do a search.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bottom line is that it's OK to use 10W60. In reality however, If I take good care of her, will it really matter what weight I use? I have scheduled maintenance for a few more more years, so I guess I'll be getting 5W30. Put the money I'll save from buying 10W60 towards mods I guess!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I´m alittle chocked - i dont have a manyel on mine yet, but i have some track expirience and alot of dialog with bouth Castrol and BMW in Scandinavia and Germany. i tryed the SLX on a trackday and it didnt sound great after the first 10 rounds (castrol say it isn´t bad for the engine) but the sound can kill you, i have tryed it on severel engines same result, and all say TWS 10/60 for the E39 M5 the oil are envented for that car, so i dont se other alternatives. i have even tryed TWS on 2,8 engines on tracks and the engine sounds great, it can take alot more heat and if you live under warmer klima you have to use that oil or type - i think you shout no matter what. I havent heard anything els on any model before from BMW or Castrol.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I use what the sticker says- my thought is to follow the rules set by NA. My 5/00 build M5 said: 10w60. My 3/00 build Z8 says 5w30! I just follow their direction on this. So far Ive had no problems in the 00 car using 10w60 before I traded it in 02 and no problems in the Z8 using 5w30 owning it for nearly 5 years now.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
I've used 5W30 since the beginning, and the car uses almost zero oil between my 5k mile oil changes (about 1/2 quart). I send off a sample to Blackstone for testing, and so far it has come back with excellent results (24k miles now).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts