BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if everyone else has this same issue, but I am looking for another option to purchase BMW parts (OEM - things like Oil change kit, etc.).

Everytime I go to my dealer (Weber BMW in Fresno, CA) and go to the parts department, there is never anyone at the front. There is no buzzer, bell, etc. to draws attention for service. I stand and wait, and wait, and wait, and noone ever shows. There are tons of people milling around the dealership and they even stop and ask me if I have been helped. I inform that I have not been helped and they go to the front desk and they page "Parts department, front desk, customer waiting.". And I wait, and wait, and wait for another 5 minutes. I walk to the front desk of the dealership and have to wait for the two young ladies who work there to finish their conversation and politely ask if she could page someone in the parts department again - she looks at me funny and says, "We already paged them.". I stated that I have been waiting for over 10 minutes now (5 minutes from the last page) and still noone has shown up. She pages them again, "Parts department, front desk, customer waiting".
I go back and wait for another 3 minutes and finally just leave as I have just wasted too much time to get some help. grrrrrrr

All I wanted was 9 quarts of oil and the oil change kit for the M5. Any know where I can get this other than a dealership?

Also, my father-in-law was in town and was going to buy (with a friend of his) a 2004 M3 and a 2004 330ci and he talked to the salesman about it. The salesman followed up with him the next day and my father-in-law called him back to begin the negotiations. He got voice mail and never got a call back.:nono: I think this extremely poor.

My wife hates the place because everyone is so standoffish in there.

I do not plan on going back there ever again and I would recommend those of you who use Weber to share your experiences.

SCORPIO

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've sometimes encountered similar experiences...

I buy oil from Bavarian Autosport. They charge $8.95 per liter which is cheaper than my local dealership. For an order of 10 liters, the shipping charge is only $11.95 (Fedex Express Saver delivery). So I figure that between the money I save per bottle and convenience factor. It's well worth to order online.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
SCORPIO said:
there is never anyone at the front. There is no buzzer, bell, etc. to draws attention for service. I stand and wait, and wait, and wait, and noone ever shows. There are tons of people milling around the dealership and they even stop and ask me if I have been helped. I inform that I have not been helped and they go to the front desk and they page "Parts department, front desk, customer waiting.".
OMG; I thought it was "me" as well - :confused:
Foreign Motors West (Natick Ma) - same thing... then when someone arrives, "I" have obviously put them out..... Attitude ensues etc....It's "Customer service in America" my friend.... :3:

For years, I've been purchasing from & continue to do so; Bavarian Auto - Alan Pierce in particular - great guy....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Scorp,
You can order oil from somewhere else and have it shipped, but it will likely cost more than you "need" to spend.

I would suggest that you do what I do: Call the day before and order the oil change kit and oil. If you can pay for it over the phone, do so. If you can't, and they have a "pay here" desk, have them put the invoice in a box with all the "stuff". Have them put the box up front with somebody (my dealer has a "greeter" at the front, so I have them leave it with her). When you arrive, take the order form back to the "pay here" desk and pay, then pick up the box and leave.

This saves me 10 minutes of standing around while the Jetta owner in front of me tries to explain what part they're looking for and while the parts guys are dealing with the Service guys (they always seem to come before me).

I'm usually in/out in 5 minutes.

Good Luck!

·
10,455 Posts
businessman_b said:
This has been my experience at most BMW dealerships....I feel your pain.

you guys need to find another dealership. There is always someone at my parts counter, and they even offer to carry the case of oil out to my car for me!
Mike

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
mottati said:
you guys need to find another dealership. There is always someone at my parts counter, and they even offer to carry the case of oil out to my car for me!
Mike
They just want to hear the headers in action!! :1:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I will check it out!

SCORPIO

·
Registered
767 Posts
I buy parts from Weber in Fresno all the time (since 1992) and NEVER have this problem. You cannot expect someone to stand in front of that small counter and wait for customers, so there's a bell and a receptionist (at a nearby) desk to alert them. They have helped me so much with researching issues/parts and have even help with installing the part in the parking lot. No way are you going to find a better bunch of people.

I cannot say the same for the sales and service department. That has gone downhill since they moved to the new North location.

You may wish to call Carl (Parts Manager) in Parts and discuss this with him.

·
10,455 Posts
gsfent said:
They just want to hear the headers in action!! :1:
Regards,
Jerry
They do tend to be pretty enthusiastic!
Mike

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Philip said:
I buy parts from Weber in Fresno all the time (since 1992) and NEVER have this problem.
You may wish to call Carl (Parts Manager) in Parts and discuss this with him.
I understand that we all have different experiences and I have worked with Carl in the past and I agree, he is very good.

I am not asking that someone staff the desk all the time, only to respond in a timely manner when there is a customer waiting.

I agree, I think the sales and service staff could be a bit more professional. I was quite disappointed when they quoted me $120 for the oil change...is this the going rate for an oil change at a dealership for an M5? Originally the quote was $89 then when I told them it was an M5, the price went to $120.

Figured it was cheaper to get the oil and filter and either do it myself or go to some local oil change place and pay the $20 to have them do it.

SCORPIO

·
Registered
767 Posts
SCORPIO said:
I understand that we all have different experiences and I have worked with Carl in the past and I agree, he is very good.

I am not asking that someone staff the desk all the time, only to respond in a timely manner when there is a customer waiting.

I agree, I think the sales and service staff could be a bit more professional. I was quite disappointed when they quoted me $120 for the oil change...is this the going rate for an oil change at a dealership for an M5? Originally the quote was $89 then when I told them it was an M5, the price went to $120.

Figured it was cheaper to get the oil and filter and either do it myself or go to some local oil change place and pay the $20 to have them do it.

SCORPIO
The M5 uses more expensive oil, and 7 quarts of it, therefore the higher cost. You not only won't get any oil change place to do it (they will not have the filter or recommended oil), but would be foolish to trust one of those guys with your car and risk non-warrentee damage.

I do my own oil change thanks to Carl faxing me a picture of the underside of the car and explaining how to access the oil drain plug (really nice guy!).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts