BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The M6 went thru a liter in less than 1200 miles. I have had the M5 for about 2k miles and nothing, not even a drop. Both of them 2008's. Is my M5 broken?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the exact same thing with my 08 M5. I'm actually at 4900 mi and have yet to add a drop of oil aside from the 1200 mile service where fluids where changed. I asked my service rep and he said that he has noticed that the later prod M5's have burned less and less oil. Can't speak for your M6. I was intending to post about the oil burning observation (or lack there of). I was beginning to wonder if my oil gages were broken and actually had it taken in this past week. No issues found. My SR told me not to worry about it and consistent with everyone else on this board said not to add unless the beast asks for it. I wish I had this problem with the gas too! cherrsagai

·
Registered
831 Posts
Maybe it's a rebadged 550:1:
Seriously, good for you. I have about 9000 miles and have added oil twice so far...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Haha. Better not be. I was wondering why I had a key hole on the trunk lid :eek:oohhh:

Seriously, not sure if it helps my oil buring or not, but until the temp gets to about 210 I don't really get on it and keep the RPM to less than 4k. After that it's game on.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
You are going to find oil consumption will change.... No idea what scenarios consume oil but I get bouts of time with no consumption and then heavy consumption.

·
Registered
637 Posts
T Bone,

Are you the same T Bone on M3post.com? LOL

I have to mention M3 in Cosmos' thread. I'm trying to convince him to buy one!

My '07 M5's burned oil like a mofo. The '08 did not. The M6 has not really as of yet, but it only has 2300 miles. I'm sure that will change after this week's mods. It is probably more a function of driving style. I heard you drive like a granny, Cos. That's probably why. haha

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
2800 miles and have added 3 Quarts!!!

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
T Bone,

Are you the same T Bone on M3post.com? LOL

I have to mention M3 in Cosmos' thread. I'm trying to convince him to buy one!

My '07 M5's burned oil like a mofo. The '08 did not. The M6 has not really as of yet, but it only has 2300 miles. I'm sure that will change after this week's mods. It is probably more a function of driving style. I heard you drive like a granny, Cos. That's probably why. haha

UNless it is Warren Buffet then it is me :)

What is your handle on M3post?

I find I burn more oil on long cruises rather than spanking the car.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Odd. The oil consumption tendencies of the S85 and S62 are a mystery indeed.

You need to run it up to 8300 more often :)
There are two reports of members spanking their S62 hard and finding that consumption drops. This would be consistent with a ring seating phenomena. I wonder if our engines don't have trouble with ring seating given our slippery cylinder bore coating....

Dave

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I don't know what to make of it, but most people find their car burning less and less oil over time. It wouldn't surprise me if BMW found a minor change to cut back how much oil this engine burns as production went on, especially with how much it has been costing them since many/most dealers top off the oil for free. Our local dealer appears to have doubled the price of oil recently too, probably because BMW isn't reimbursing them as much (or ever?) for oil top-offs. In about 4,000 miles (since my oil change at 16k mi) I have burned 1 liter. From 1200mi to about 12,000mi, I probably burned a liter every 2000-2500mi, and from 12k-16k I didn't burn quite a full liter before having the oil change done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
08 M5 here, and no oil burned yet at 2200 miles.

·
Registered
285 Posts
ya, I have gone through some 2 liters in 5k, but Ive got a 06...she is QUITE healthy on her power delivery however and I definitely like to remind myself she has a V10 quite often...if ya know what I mean...haha

·
Registered
917 Posts
My 07 only gets oil changed/topped off during oil service. It goes through about 0.1L per 2000-3000 miles usually. Depending on some interesting trips I have taken, it did go up once or twice (I-17 North from phoenix to grand canyon for example and did need top-up after that).

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have an 07, and I have gone through about 8 quarts cherrsagaisince the 1200 mile service, (12000 miles so far). I was "told" by a SA that 1L per 900 miles is "normal" consumption. Sad to admit, I do drive like a grandma (mostly stop and go traffic in the city) and dont get up to 8400 RPMs, so the spank it (meaning the car) theory doesn't apply.

·
Registered
378 Posts
3 quarts in 15K miles but congestion "limits me" I also seems to come in chunks of 1L at a time. One day 0.9, the next 0.0.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

08 M5 with 4500 miles and the oil gauge is at a little over the half mark on the dash. Another 08 M5 is at half way mark with 2500 miles. We both broke them in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts