BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had these 2 questions pop in my head yesterday. Why we dont have oval rear view mirror (which is already on a different threadt) and why doesnt the steering wheel didnt get stiffer on fast turns on sport mode. :dunno:

·
Registered
354 Posts
It is my understanding that sport mode just hastens the throttle response. It is the EDC that changes the steering feel. While driving with EDC set with no lights on swerve back and forth... then press edc twice (now with two lights on) swerve again... much tighter feel.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The steering response is never changed in the way that it is with the regular 5-series cars that are equipt with active steering. EDC only controls the stiffness of the shocks, which will translate into steering response, but is not the same as the active steering, which will actually change the steering ratios.

Here is what BMW has to say about EDC on the bmwusa.com website:

"Electronic Damping Control (EDC) automatically adjusts the shock absorber settings to meet changes in vehicle speed, load, or road and driving conditions. The driver selects either "Sport" or "Comfort" from the iDrive "Settings" menu. EDC then modifies the shock absorbers to any degree, from the softest to the firmest setting. The result is exceptional riding comfort and fluid, responsive handling at all times. For example, the "Sport" setting increases firmness under all conditions for a sportier driving feel. With the "Comfort" setting, when sensors detect smooth roads, the shock absorbers are kept "soft" for optimum riding comfort. When the vehicle is rounding a sharp corner or curve, the shock absorbers are automatically and instantly adjusted to a firmer level. And when the vehicle encounters irregular road surfaces, such as bumps or a "washboard" surface, the shocks are instantly adjusted to the optimum level of firmness. This controls ride motions, helping to keep ride comfort at an acceptable level while maintaining road contact."

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Tires used affect steering response. When I switched from Contis to PS2s, the steering got lighter at all speeds and less feedback. Michelin's softer sidewalls and sticker rubber are worth the trade-off, still a noticeable change.

I've got the Dinan Stage II suspension, comments reflect pre and post installation. The car handles much flatter with the aftermarket setup but doesn't affect the steering feel.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The steering is at the "firm" setting in Normal and Sport modes (the default setting). Only when the EDC is in Comfort does the steering become "less firm".

From BMW M5 Product Information Brochure:

"Electronic Damping Control. 3 settings:
Normal, Comfort and Sport. Steering power
assist is linked to these settings: Its Comfort
mode (more power assist) goes only with the
EDC Comfort setting. The steering's Sport
mode (less assist) goes with EDC's Normal
and Sport modes."

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The steering is at the "firm" setting in Normal and Sport modes (the default setting). Only when the EDC is in Comfort does the steering become "less firm".

From BMW M5 Product Information Brochure:

"Electronic Damping Control. 3 settings:
Normal, Comfort and Sport. Steering power
assist is linked to these settings: Its Comfort
mode (more power assist) goes only with the
EDC Comfort setting. The steering's Sport
mode (less assist) goes with EDC's Normal
and Sport modes."
Interesting brochure info, I notice no steering difference between damping modes. Wonder if different OS updates change this behavior, as they do with other aspects of vehicle behavior?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Interesting brochure info, I notice no steering difference between damping modes. Wonder if different OS updates change this behavior, as they do with other aspects of vehicle behavior?
I notice a difference. Also, I believe our steering is speed sensative. For some reason the steering ratio is not a good as my old E39, though. I thought I read somewhere in a review that the E60 does not have servotronic steering for some reason but rather is speed sensative. The M3 seems to have servotronic steering with adjustability through idrive based on the speed network show the other day.

If you ask most people and the dealer they will tell you the EDC does not affect anything but suspension. They are simply wrong. I can feel the difference. Glad someone confirmed what I already knew.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I notice a difference. Also, I believe our steering is speed sensative. For some reason the steering ratio is not a good as my old E39, though. I thought I read somewhere in a review that the E60 does not have servotronic steering for some reason but rather is speed sensative. The M3 seems to have servotronic steering with adjustability through idrive based on the speed network show the other day.

If you ask most people and the dealer they will tell you the EDC does not affect anything but suspension. They are simply wrong. I can feel the difference. Glad someone confirmed what I already knew.
I'm curious what OS version you & Digi are running?

I notice you're driving an '08 and Digi an '06 as I am; wonder if a design difference between model years and/or production dates within model years? I notice no steering difference between EDC modes, although I believe the two of you with your cars. . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts