BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I hear a CGT, I need to change my underwear.

Why does the Porsche V10 sound so much better than ours? I like the way our engine sounds but the Porsche V10 is a whole different level.

Anything to do with crank?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I know exactly what you mean.

I also love the sound of the new Audi's.

The sound of the M5 is a little disappointing. Must be nearly time to order a Dixis, but when it comes down to it, I really shouldn't have to.

I realise that people like the M5 because it is a stealth car, but does it have to sound so flat.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Reactions: BD 997

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I know exactly what you mean.

I also love the sound of the new Audi's.

The sound of the M5 is a little disappointing. Must be nearly time to order a Dixis, but when it comes down to it, I really shouldn't have to.

I realise that people like the M5 because it is a stealth car, but does it have to sound so flat.

I think the M5 "needs" an exhaust to let the beautiful V10 be heard as it is supposed to. It's like night and day since I got mine. I actually think it sounds awesome, and I have yet to hear sound from another vehicle that I prefer. Then again, I have yet to hear a Carrera GT in person, but I do admit it does sound nice on Gustav's latest DVD which I just got and watched yesterday.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the M5 "needs" an exhaust to let the beautiful V10 be heard as it is supposed to. It's like night and day since I got mine. I actually think it sounds awesome, and I have yet to hear sound from another vehicle that I prefer. Then again, I have yet to hear a Carrera GT in person, but I do admit it does sound nice on Gustav's latest DVD which I just got and watched yesterday.

It isn't the exhaust.... It is the way the Porsche V10 sings.

The BMW V10 sounds like a tuned version of the Dodge Viper V10.....

In the same way the Ferrari V8s sound so much better than the BMW V8s, Chevy V8s, I believe the Ferraris use a singleplane cranks whereas the BMWs / Chevys use crossplane cranks.

Any idea what the Porsche and BMWs use? Is this what is causing the difference in the cacophony??

Reactions: xraym5

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I think it has to do with the lightweight flywheel on the CGT and the ability for theengine to spool up so quickly.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Everytime I hear a CGT, I need to change my underwear.

Why does the Porsche V10 sound so much better than ours? I like the way our engine sounds but the Porsche V10 is a whole different level.

Anything to do with crank?
Funny thing about that.......it even sounds better before you turn it on! Really...........I wouldn't kid about something like that. :3:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny thing about that.......it even sounds better before you turn it on! Really...........I wouldn't kid about something like that. :3:

Crankshaft! Not cranking.

Is the Porsche V10 a single plane crank? I just read that the exhaust was tuned to give that high pitch squeal (sorry xrayM5 for discounting your suggestion)....

If I can find an exhaust that made our V10s sound like the Carrera GT.....I will fork it over but the noise is coming from things other than the exhaust!!!

I think the Carrera GT is the best sounding car EVER.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Reactions: duaijiM5

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Technically speaking it's the Vanos...and it sounds DIFFERENT not better, to all....thankyou

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
682 Posts
I wil attribute the sound to two major factors. Very light engine/flywheel and the fact that it is mid mounted and there is not nearly as much exhaust piping between you and the engine.

·
Registered
503 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts