BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WHY DOES THE M5 SOUND LIKE A DIESEL???

Yeah... the new BMW e60 m5. What´s the deal with it sounding like a diesel in idle? hmmm

A nice car like that, sounding a little like a tractor - what´s the point here? Any benefits? How is your people´s opinion about this? I find it a little strange that they goes for a engine with that tune in such a nice car. Really.

I´ve heard it´s due to the "Vanos", maybe?
Another said it was the valve tapping noise or maybe due to the direct injection engine´s high preassure on the fuel. But i doubt it. Anybody know what it is, and if it could get changed with some after market stuff? Doubt that too...

I guess it´s just not such an issue for the most people. :M5thumbs:

Thanks.

EDIT: I don´t know why this post was moved, since it´s about the e60 m5.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Re: WHY DOES THE M5 SOUND LIKE A DIESEL???

I'm not sure why it was moved either, unless they were worried about negative reaction to your statement. I'd imagine many people would love to have that "diesel" sound in their driveway. :haha:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

Yup, moved to the wrong forum. I was going to say check the VANOS if it was an E39, but the E60 just sounds like a VW TDI when it is at idle. With 507HP though, I think I could get used to it.
:cheers:

·
Registered
703 Posts

welcome!

·
Registered
829 Posts

Dokra said:
Yeah... the new BMW e60 m5. What´s the deal with it sounding like a diesel in idle? hmmm
It's the sound dual VANOS makes. That's the price you pay for having an NA 507bhp engine. :)

it's not really a diesel sound, it's just that there's alot of ticking. Many E39 customers also had the same complaint. The engine make a ticking sound in low rpms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

frylord said:
It's the sound dual VANOS makes. That's the price you pay for having an NA 507bhp engine. :)
But i mean, a Ferrari F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche CGT Mercedes E55 etc.... they don´t sound like this in idle i guess. And i assume that this engines` is up there with thoose specs you mentioned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

frylord said:
it's not really a diesel sound, it's just that there's alot of ticking. Many E39 customers also had the same complaint. The engine make a ticking sound in low rpms.
.... and.... Ok. Strange they didn´t do anything about in the new M5 then. But i guess they just can´t change the whole technique.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Dokra said:
.... and.... Ok. Strange they didn´t do anything about in the new M5 then. But i guess they just can´t change the whole technique.
There isn't much they can do about it, it's just the sound it makes period. Alot of high pressure oil making miniscule adjustments through teeny tiny holes gets you that sound. VANOS gets you the advantage of having alot of torque and power available though out the whole rpm range, the only draw back it has (for the customer) is the sound.

Also the engine is a V10, which is naturaly unbalanced. There's alot of end to end vibration specialy in low rpm which could be a contributing factor. But this is entrily dependant of BMW's design. This is also the reason why I would've loved to see a V12 instead of a V10, ohwell maybe next M5 can be a V12 :D

Anywayz, this is the sound the car makes. It has lots of power, enormous amounts of torque over the whole range and is mindblazingly fast. It just makes that sound, you'll just have to live with it :)

·
Registered
321 Posts

Dokra said:
But i mean, a Ferrari F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche CGT Mercedes E55 etc
Can't say that the idle exhaust sound of the F430, Gallardo or the E55 is exciting to my ears. Depends what you're expecting I suppose. It's what happens when you blip the throttle that gets the blood racing...

·
Registered
283 Posts

sydl said:
Can't say that the idle exhaust sound of the F430, Gallardo or the E55 is exciting to my ears. Depends what you're expecting I suppose. It's what happens when you blip the throttle that gets the blood racing...
I agree. When your in this ballpark of engines, they are not meant to sound like a 545 would, or an MB S500... These are race breed engines with high output exhaust that dont tailor to a customer wanting a fake 'Infiniti FX45' sound. An E55 sounds really like nothing. A Lambo Gallardo/Merc sounds very raspy like its choking on something, and same with most Ferrari's.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
This is a function of two factors:

1. Noisy engine top-end due to technologies aimed at maximizing power.
2. Good exhaust muffling that allows the top-end clickity-clack to be heard.

I noticed this in my E39 M5s, but it never bothered me. I don't understand the importance people place on a deep engine sound at idle. The engine sound depends on your power goals and the approach you take. Harleys have a deep sound idle sound while sport bikes don't. I like the latter and hate the former. If you value throaty idle, get a big V-8 (or V-twin).

Tom

·
Registered
42 Posts

Dokra said:
But i mean, a Ferrari F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche CGT Mercedes E55 etc.... they don´t sound like this in idle i guess. And i assume that this engines` is up there with thoose specs you mentioned.
none of them has something like the VANOS system! ferrari is still at the step to go back to 4 valve layout (from 5 valve layout). bmw is outstanding with the VANOS. Honda has it's V-Tech but it is not that complicated and efficient.
for this reason, for me it is ok to have a tickling sound at idle, no other supercar has something like that.

btw: the e46 M3 tickles also slightly at idle. but what happens when you put the foot down? you will get away with much tourqe! thank you VANOS

·
Registered
129 Posts

It sounds dreadful when you start it in the morning.......
lik esomething is about to fall out.....
Something with the airpump ? it

ITs Alot noisier than any e39...... Its a very very poor sounding idle and Id like to know why....

How about we asked BMW ?...

·
Registered
25 Posts

I don't care what it sounds like. If I did I would buy a Vauxhall Corsa and fit a loud pipe and paint "flames" down the side. Of course it would be crap but it would sound loud and aggressive!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts