BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you will see on anoter thread I posted earlier ( "help us to help you please "), the subject of our carbon parts seeming relatively expensive has undestandably been brought up .

We will , as posted , be looking into our pricing on this very shortly , but meanwhile I would like to make the following comments :

- a lot of the carbon items you see from inexpensive suppliers and ebay are what is called WET LAY carbon ...this is the lowest grade of carbon production ; if not done 100% it will lead to defects like delamination and discolouring , it also has a somewhat "flat look " . We do sell a very small quantity of such products , but they are marked as such . These items are often machine mader en masse .
- other than the few above mentioned wet lay items , all our products are of a MUCH higher standard because :

1. all made from VACUUM FORMED PRE PREG ( AUTOCLAVED ) carbon fibre , the highest and strongest grade there is (as used by Boeing , Maclaren , space shuttle etc
Even our carbon laminated parts are mostly vaccum formed pre preg over the core part ( eg e46 centre console )
2. as the gel resin is impregnated throughout the carbon ( not just applied over top surface ) the carbon has a much deeper and 3D look than wet lay or machine made items .
3. most items are INDIVIDUALLY HAND MADE TO ORDER , I.E. A CUSTOM SERVICE
4. we apply carbon to as much surface as possible ...as example see image of e46 armrest , see how the carbon goes all the way around ? Some manufacturers only laminate visible parts
4. We can also offer a vacuum molding service where we can replicate almost any part in 100% carbon , at extra cost , where we do not already offer thi sanyway
5. Many of our seemingly expensive parts are 100% pre preg already , whereas many "competitors " similar products are a laminate over GRP core .

Below i have attached some pics of some items I just received today , hopefully you can see what I am talking about .

as always memeber comments are welcome ......
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Was wondering if by any chance you would sell just the vertical slats backing of those kidney grills. As I want to keep the chrome but want the vertical slats to be CF. If you were to fabricate just the backing half of the kidney grill, how much would you charge?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crnjyM5 said:
Was wondering if by any chance you would sell just the vertical slats backing of those kidney grills. As I want to keep the chrome but want the vertical slats to be CF. If you were to fabricate just the backing half of the kidney grill, how much would you charge?
hi crn

we tried this before ..the only way to do it successfully is to actually cast the slats in full carbon as laminating is too difficult abd "bitty" due to such small an inaccessible gaps between slats .
Then , even when all that is done , because of the reflective contrast of the chrome surround and teh slightly "in shadow" position of the slats , they ens up looking just black from many angles, unless you are really up close and looking you do not alway snotice the carbon effect .

So , in conclusion about $500 dollars for not a lot of effect at all ......

we will still do it for a customer of course , but we are just letting you know...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One mor point on wet lay ....the biggest problem and cause of poor quality is when they just lay it up like fibreglass , with no vacuum or autoclave process..... that just sucks and is main point of my argument ....

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts