BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When in SMG mode, my car automatically downshifts on its own????.if this is a true manuel it shouldnt be doing this right???
for example i will be slowing down in 3rd.and slowly on it own 3, 2, 1,?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well of course it is not a "true" manual... it has an electronically controlled clutch... And I wouldn't want my car in 3rd gear at 3mi/hr.

... BTW: what do you mean by SMG mode????

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is normal. When in any of the S-? modes the gear box will automatically down shift for you when the engine falls below a certain RPM. For example, my experience over the last couple of years has been to rarely shift down myself lower than 3rd gear and to let the car do it on it's own. Much smoother stops that way.

Manually down shifting to, say, 2nd can be a bit jerky when you are ultimately coming to a stop although you can control this easily enough if you pay attention to it. And unless you come to a complete stop it will not shift in to 1st, just second. But when you come to a full stop it will set itself up in 1st gear.

-David

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
If you don't downshift manually as you slow down then the car is programmed to downshift for you at the last second to prevent the car from stalling.

Having said that it is not programmed to up shift when you reach the rev limiter in S modes unless most of the BMW auto's in tiptronic mode.

·
Registered
199 Posts
if you let the tranny downshift on it's own, you will get that irritating bang (like you were hit from behind) upon accelerating from a full stop. I prefer to shift it myself, all the way to first gear when I come to a slow roll or a complete stop.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The actual gearbox is a true manual, but everything else about it is not. Down shifting on its own is the car's way of telling you that if you wanted to down shift on your own, you should have done so by now. I down shift the car myself 95% of the time. The other times, I have it in D mode.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Good talk guys......BUT in "D" mode ??
...........NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts