BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im shopping around for changing out the rod bearings on the s85 motor and every time i tell a shop about the issue they look at me like wtf? They ask how many miles i have on the car and i tell them about 70k. They acknowledge what I'm saying and continue to work up a price for me. When they finally get back to me with a price they respond with "so we did some research and found that bmw isn't having rod bearing issues with you car as a common issue, and furthermore we have a good friend who has been a bmw mechanic for 30 some odd years and he also has never heard about this issue with the m5's. they tell me that i shouldn't worry unless i track the car or really beat it up. I don't do either and mainly drive all highway and use it as a daily driver. What proof can i show these shops that I'm not just a delusional kid trying to spend useless money on rod bearings? I want a piece of mind with these fricken things. Thanks for your time. p.s. i know there is a plethora of info on these on this forum because i have been doing my research on them. I guess ill have to show individual cases

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,259 Posts
I can't remember, but have you run a Blackstone yet?

I'll say it again, but you don't need to be on a track to abuse an s85.

A clueless first or second owner that does not understand the proper warmup procedures can abuse an s85 every time they start up their car in their driveway.

Reactions: PRM5 and AGM5

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So Im shopping around for changing out the rod bearings on the s85 motor and every time i tell a shop about the issue they look at me like wtf? They ask how many miles i have on the car and i tell them about 70k. They acknowledge what I'm saying and continue to work up a price for me. When they finally get back to me with a price they respond with "so we did some research and found that bmw isn't having rod bearing issues with you car as a common issue, and furthermore we have a good friend who has been a bmw mechanic for 30 some odd years and he also has never heard about this issue with the m5's. they tell me that i shouldn't worry unless i track the car or really beat it up. I don't do either and mainly drive all highway and use it as a daily driver. What proof can i show these shops that I'm not just a delusional kid trying to spend useless money on rod bearings? I want a piece of mind with these fricken things. Thanks for your time. p.s. i know there is a plethora of info on these on this forum because i have been doing my research on them. I guess ill have to show individual cases
I think that if the shop you are going to doesn't know there's a issue with S85 and S65 rod bearing wear, you should go to another shop. They clearly don't know enough about these engines.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think that if the shop you are going to doesn't know there's a issue with S85 and S65 rod bearing wear, you should go to another shop. They clearly don't know enough about these engines.
+1

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
If you're handy with a wrench and you're really worried about the bearings (and who wouldn't be) buy the parts and swap them out on a weekend. Or just, as one member was told be his dealer, wait for the fault code before changing them. ouich

BTW the fault code is preceded by a knocking sound and a catastrophic expulsion of the offending rod.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I think you have to keep in mind that there really aren't that many e60 M5's out there compared to most models. Sometimes I grill my SA about these things (SMG pumps, bearings, clutches) and he gets this flustered look and says 'Mark..we don't see many of these M5's in here to begin with'. So I can understand where you are coming from and this is a BMW dealer saying this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is coming from patrick bmw in schaumburg and 2 different bmw specialized shops and a bmw tech that i forgot what dealer he works at

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
this is coming from patrick bmw in schaumburg and 2 different bmw specialized shops and a bmw tech that i forgot what dealer he works at
I'm at 45k miles now, I will be doing mine myself at 50k, probably next year. I have never taken my car anywhere around here to recommend somewhere for you to go.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,259 Posts
If you're handy with a wrench and you're really worried about the bearings (and who wouldn't be) buy the parts and swap them out on a weekend. Or just, as one member was told be his dealer, wait for the fault code before changing them. ouich

BTW the fault code is preceded by a knocking sound and a catastrophic expulsion of the offending rod.
That's just cruel Allison...cruel :tonquesmilie: .

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm at 45k miles now, I will be doing mine myself at 50k, probably next year. I have never taken my car anywhere around here to recommend somewhere for you to go.
i want to do mine myself also cus its not a crazy job i just don't have access to a lift and i don't wanna do it on my back in the garage. but i might be investing in a garage lift so if i do then ill end up doing it myself.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

That's just cruel Allison...cruel :tonquesmilie: .
I thought that the member who received this gem was Mighty5.

I called my mechanic to get some new rod bearings on my motor and he says, "just wait for it to throw a code."
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/201384-whats-dumbest-comment-suggestion-made-about-your-m5-54.html#post3432562

·
Registered
204 Posts
+1 to doing things yourself.....my lift has paid for itself several times over.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I told my SA I was worried about oil on my spark plug, the HEAD MASTER TECH cut in and said the car will throw a code if there was an issue with oil in the cylinder.

"BMW MASTER TECH"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts