BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going out to eat with my wife tonight, and I mentioned that there was someone possibly selling their M5 to go to an E90 330i. She laughed that it was the exact opposite of what I did a few months ago. The discussion then switched to WHY I sold the 330i, and she let it slip that she doesn't actually like the M5. She liked the looks and the interior of the 330i more, and although she never drove the car, she missed it.

I found myself actually struggling to explain to her in a relatable way why I love the M5. I tried to talk about how car handles compared to my 330i, how the exhaust note is better, how the power delivery is, well, more powerful. But in the end, she said she just didn't get it.

I realize there are lot of people here that don't even drive an M5 but still hang around for the great community. If you were to explain to someone why you sold car A to buy car B (whatever that car may be), for the reasons that bring us to a board like this, what would they be? My wife firmly believes that cars are just modes of transportation to/from work, so my inarticulate words were lost on her. How do you explain the magic that is the E39 M5 ?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Have you taken her in any long trips in the beast? Mine won my girlfriends heart over on the way home. Most girls can't help the torque giggles

·
Registered
682 Posts
When it comes to cars like the M's, sometimes it can be like trying to explain the color blue to a blind person. I understand your problem. Taking a road trip as advised isn't a bad idea though. Even if it doesn't work, you will enjoy yourself!

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Did she drive the e90, let her drive the M5. Then again you might not get the keys back.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Trackday ridealong with an instructor in your M5 will make her see the light.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Do you care what others say about your M5?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you care what others say about your M5?
I'm trying to connect with my wife over this, instead of her seeing the car in the garage as something to hate. So yes, I care to some extent what my wife says about my car. Will it stop me from owning it and driving it? No, of course not. But if I could spark a little interest in her, that sure wouldn't be a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did she drive the e90, let her drive the M5. Then again you might not get the keys back.
She learned to drive manual transmission on my E90. She's driven the M5 in a mega-church parking lot (acres and acres of flat, empty concrete) -- she was a little thrilled and very intimidated. :eek:h: But hey, she likes her Subaru Legacy with a CVT, so this could be a lost cause.

·
Registered
529 Posts
First: Google "washing machine enthusiast" for a great jalopnik article. Then realize that our obsession with cars is unique amongst society in general. After this tell her that you just can't explain it, and don't make an effort to share it with her. That's why we're here. :) when you love it without caring about her getting it, her interest may pique. (women, Wtf?! )

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like this:
Rinse&Repeat
That's a unique approach, and I don't think it'll go over well. She already tolerated my years of Judo practice :eek7:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had my girl drive the ///M but when she did one of the brake lines from the abs module ruptured & started too spray on the e/manifold making it smoke & brake pedal go too the floor (giving her **** too talk). since then all I get is sell that POS and get a new Bimmer! few weeks later I floor'd it while she was putting eye liner on haven't heard any griping since!!! (None of the new bimmers from E60-E90 on do it for me they feel generic not driver orientated) When your wifey wants louboutons & you spend over 2k on your car at a time you will make your sig other quite pissed. But I'm happy with my ///M it doesn't talk back....... ( In 2013 I spent over 8k on the other mistress) but she doesn't know

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had my girl drive the ///M but when she did one of the brake lines from the abs module ruptured & started too spray on the e/manifold making it smoke & brake pedal go too the floor (giving her **** too talk). since then all I get is sell that POS and get a new Bimmer! few weeks later I floor'd it while she was putting eye liner on haven't heard any griping since!!! (None of the new bimmers from E60-E90 on do it for me they feel generic not driver orientated) When your wifey wants louboutons & you spend over 2k on your car at a time you will make your sig other quite pissed. But I'm happy with my ///M it doesn't talk back....... ( In 2013 I spent over 8k on the other mistress) but she doesn't know
Hah! My wife and I have an agreement that we'll discuss any purchase over $500. I guess I can buy 10% of a supercharger each month.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Hah! My wife and I have an agreement that we'll discuss any purchase over $500. I guess I can buy 10% of a supercharger each month.
I would die before I GOT TOLD HOW TOO SPEND MY DINERO!!!! A Stone Cold stunner every quarter will keep her quiet ;)
Guys..you're doing it all wrong. Here, fixed it for you
LMFAOOOOOOOO I love these vines

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
If your wife views cars as utilitarian objects then she will never understand what is so great about an M5. I don't understand why my wife needs 400 pairs of shoes or endless handbags either. It's just the way of the world.
Because Prada doesn't make driving shoes. Short skirt and alpinestars is not a good look; so one needs many pairs of shoes. The ones that suit the outfit and the ones you can heel/toe in.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts