BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I get in the car late this afternoon and as I begin backing out of the garage, I hear "crack/pop" and the car shakes just a touch. Feels exactly like when pads lightly seize/rust to the rotors after parking/sitting a while following a drive in rain. No big deal, although this sounded a bit louder and the car shook slightly more than normal as the pads "let go" of the rotor. I think "well, last I drove was in snow/ice/salt, so maybe that's why the pads seized to rotors a bit more." Uh, no...

I keep backing out slowly and hear "clang" and then a horrible noise from right front...like something scraping/rubbing hard on the brake backing plate/dust shield. Get the car out of the garage bay, walk around and tire/wheel are tucked way up in wheelwell. I look in garage where right front wheel sits and there, resting comfortably on the ground is the lower coil of my Dinan spring. Oh come on!

Called Dinan, they looked up my order from 2007 and told me to send them a couple pics. 15 minutes later, Dan McNiff (warranty tech) at Dinan calls me back and tells me a new coil is on its way and I will have it tomorrow. He couldn't have been more helpful.

Spent the next hour tearing everything apart so that it's ready to go when the new spring arrives. Why does this only happen when it's 20 degrees outside, I'm losing daylight fast and the car is disabled such that I can't pull her back in the garage to work on it?

Oh and thank God I bought an impact gun over the holidays, otherwise the top plate locking nut would still be seized to the strut! That thing is awesome!

Should get to install on Friday...hopefully I won't freeze to *****...and alignment on Monday if all goes to plan.

Why can't these things happen on a nice sunny Spring day instead?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Man! Sorry to hear that. But it's a rule, sh** happens at the least opportune time and usually when you need it most.

Good luck with the weather!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cup half full: better then than on the go. :eek7:
So true! Truth is, despite working in the sub-freezing temps, overall hassle and substantial worry that something (brakes, other suspension components, etc) was destroyed as a result of driving the car out of the garage, so far it's not been too bad. Nothing else seems to be damaged, Dinan was awesome about replacement and everything came apart without a hitch. Fingers crossed all goes back together as smoothly!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Wow sorry to hear it man but good luck getting it all going quickly and at least you've got the tools and know-how to tackle this issue!

Get that LMB back on the road! ;)

SP

·
Registered
274 Posts
That stuff happens to me when it's about 100. I would rather do that kind of work when it's cool. Although 20 is hard on the hands.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Wow, that's a first

Glad you weren't at full tilt when that thing let go. Have you had a chance to inspect the other coils for any signs of damage? Almost looks like it wasn't heat treated properly or something. I've seen springs sag over time, but not a nice clean break like that. Weird.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.