BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, getting on my soapbox here: Why the hell do people ruin a perfectly good front bumper by installing a completely useless and UGLY European front license plate onto it?!

I honestly can't think of anything more stupid, tasteless and pointless! We don't live in Europe, and there's nothing sexy about a license plate, PERIOD. If you don't need to run a plate in front, consider yourself lucky and ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF THE M5's SEXY BUMPER. Don't ruin it with an ugly piece of metal for no reason.

Phew, I feel a lot better now.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Euro plates look great, actually.

And the bumper isn't metal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You are joking about this right??

I live in Europe as you can see.
And I honest can say most of them perhaps 90% hate the front license plate, the other 10% does't give a crap about it.
But I can't amagine anyone likes it? those people should be shot..

Only thing I do like about a license plate, is if you can give it a own name. Like in the U.S and Germany but never upfront.:Thumbdown:

You guys are some lucky bast****:grrrrr:

Now I feel a little bit better. :rolleyes:

ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF THE M5's SEXY BUMPER
Spot on!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Euro plates look great, actually.

And the bumper isn't metal.
No, the bumper isn't, but the plate is (which is what I was referring to when I said "don't ruin it WITH AN ugly piece of metal")

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'm not arguing against that, and you have the right to put whatever you want on your car.

But seriously, and respectfully, what looks so good about a superfluous piece of metal (as in the license plate) on the front of your car? What's next, European inspection stickers? Just because the car comes from Europe doesn't mean that we need to make it look like it's still in Europe. Isn't the roundel on the hood enough? Wouldn't you laugh at a European putting a US license plate on the front of a Corvette? Just comes off as ricey.

Anyone want a transformers sticker?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
But seriously, and respectfully, what looks so good about a superfluous piece of metal (as in the license plate) on the front of your car?
It looks better than the American plates, that's for sure. While the lack of a plate is nice and clean, a Euro plate looks pretty good in the right conditions.

What's next, European inspection stickers?
Yes! You read my mind. I custom made one that says E39 on it. What's the problem? It's a bit of a homage. If you want to complain, complain about Nurburgring stickers on cars that have never even been to it.

Wouldn't you laugh at a European putting a US license plate on the front of a Corvette?
What kind of Vette? An older vette with the vintage plate would look great.

Just comes off as ricey.
It does not.

Anyone want a transformers sticker?
There are no BMWs in Transformers.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I am impartial to the euro plate. That is a personal preference. However, no matter what, it is not worth drilling holes in the bumper. There are kits that you can use to avoid doing so.

They day I bought my car I took the euro plate off the front that a previous owner had put on. Luckily, I ended up needing a new front bumper so I no longer have two stupid holes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It looks better than the American plates, that's for sure. While the lack of a plate is nice and clean, a Euro plate looks pretty good in the right conditions.
And what conditions would those be? At a BMW parking lot car show with a bunch of 18 year olds?

Yes! You read my mind. I custom made one that says E39 on it. What's the problem? It's a bit of a homage. If you want to complain, complain about Nurburgring stickers on cars that have never even been to it.
Please tell me you're kidding. Whats the difference between a car that's never been to the 'ring wearing a 'ring sticker and a car that's never been on european roads wearing a european plate and inspection sticker! lol this is great.

There are no BMWs in Transformers.
And if there were would you get a sticker? :dunno:

don't want to start a war here, but it's a fun discussion and I'm never going to get where you're coming from on this one. Question, do you run one?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Well, I'm use to mine;

101010.jpg

mine is customized - personal meaning...

- but if I didn't have to have it, would for sure, not attach a metal plate or a US plate...

To each his own though I suppose...

(...as long as they don't add that M badge in the lower mesh - ick) :confused3

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
OP what you trying to do.. start a WAR on the board about euro plates:biggrin:

For me personally i don't have Euro plates and will get them as soon as i get AMG car which is prob never.. but the plates does look good on some cars and i have a few friends that have them but i will never put them on my car.. I don't need headache from traffic police to have reason to stop me and check other things on my car like my tinted windows, etc.

I think it is subjective and you will have some strongly for it and others totally against it..
I have seen some mods on the board that to me looks insane and i wonder why someone would do that to their car but what do i know.. it is their car..

·
Registered
392 Posts
US L Plate bracket

I am impartial to the euro plate. That is a personal preference. However, no matter what, it is not worth drilling holes in the bumper. There are kits that you can use to avoid doing so.

They day I bought my car I took the euro plate off the front that a previous owner had put on. Luckily, I ended up needing a new front bumper so I no longer have two stupid holes.

Could you share where you could find a plate mounting that requires no drilling? I just got a ticket for not displaying....lame

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check gominigo.com for a no drilling solution. Mounts in your tow hook hole. I use it on my two Minis and just ordered one for the M5. Sadly around here they love writing me tickets for no plates.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Well, we all want something we can't have :dunno: Some M5 E39 owners here in Europe for instance love the US-headlights, so they buy these on ebay and replace their clear corner headlights with the US-headlight. But we have many m5board members with the Euro headlights, which look way better:M5thumbs:

I personally hate the front licence plate, it looks plain stupid but we must have one grrrrrrr

·
Registered
392 Posts
Check gominigo.com for a no drilling solution. Mounts in your tow hook hole. I use it on my two Minis and just ordered one for the M5. Sadly around here they love writing me tickets for no plates.
No dice on the link....do you have a product name?

Ooops...nevermind....forgot an 'i'

·
Registered
392 Posts
Which did you order? From your experience does it still at any point touch the outer bumper cover?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I kept all my European plates from when I lived in Germany, love em "hanging on my Garage walls". Wish virginia didn't have a front plate requirement.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Well, I'm use to mine;

View attachment 124198

mine is customized - personal meaning...

- but if I didn't have to have it, would for sure, not attach a metal plate or a US plate...

To each his own though I suppose...

(...as long as they don't add that M badge in the lower mesh - ick) :confused3
I think Mark's car looks sick with the plate.

It is a different strokes for different folks kind of thing. For the most part I am cool with it and think it looks good on the right car. Now some of the personalization is over the top. Like the douche who lives near me that has Audiboy on his a4.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sorry, getting on my soapbox here: Why the hell do people ruin a perfectly good front bumper by installing a completely useless and UGLY European front license plate onto it?!

I honestly can't think of anything more stupid, tasteless and pointless! We don't live in Europe, and there's nothing sexy about a license plate, PERIOD. If you don't need to run a plate in front, consider yourself lucky and ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF THE M5's SEXY BUMPER. Don't ruin it with an ugly piece of metal for no reason.

Phew, I feel a lot better now.

Very interesting post. I learned two things today: 1. someone besides my wife thinks that their personal tastes are universal standards; and 2., in ten years of M5 ownership I never knew that the front bumper could be regarded as sexy.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts