Votes: 32 86.5%
  • No don't bother

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
Would you really want to see people quoting each other as a hedge against revisionist history, and to sift through that re-quote clutter in a thread?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
At least for threads which are "For Sale" and maybe DIYs. I do like the idea that after the 24 hrs. any edit has a dedicated font and maybe even a required reason for the edit. "For Sale" threads obviously for "sold" or an option for the OP to close the thread. The "DIYs" an easier, faster method may have been found. Just some ideas.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
For all of the people who complain that this feature doesn't exist there will be a whole other segment of people who will complain that too many people are quoting others' posts, that it takes up to much screen space and that they have to do a lot of scrolling. Jack wagons going back trying to change their story and history otherwise; no thank you. ORIGINAL posts in the For Sale or Event forums; maybe, with the edits CLEARLY marked like a strikeout of the original post material and the change or added material in red. Besides, there is a mechanism for change: ask a moderator if it REALLY has to happen. Some moderators may not like to do it for whatever reasons; there are others. As far as I know it is NOT a hard and fast policy that an expired post can't be changed. Of the four other forums that I am an active member of, all but one doesn't have a similar expiration rule in affect.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
This is the only way to ensure credibility, otherwise anyone can go back on their words anytime! If you have additional information, simply add it in a follow up post. The info at time of thread creation is accurate and should reflect timed history as so, if it wasn't accurate and you subsequently want to change it to cover your tracks, well, enough said!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Don't know if you guys are aware of StackExchange (most famous for stackoverflow.com). The way things work over there is quite nice... Each post has a dedicated revision history, so if one needs to change something, they can do so, and if one needs to view what was originally said, they can do so as well, so you have the best of both worlds.

More info: http://stackoverflow.com/help/editing

It may be really ambitious to have this implemented on a site like m5board which uses a battle-hardened PHP-based forum framework in the backend, but who's to say it's not doable? The technology used by this forum is rapidly outdating, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but questions need to be asked about what the website can do to enhance user experience.

I for one am irritated by the fact that when I reorganize my images that are hosted online, I lose the images in existing posts and have no way of modifying those posts to update then with the new URL. It takes away from the continuity of the post as well. I could ask the mods to update my posts, but surely they have more valuable things to do than serve as URL butlers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd just say allow users to make changes to their posts, and mark the post as 'edited' at the bottom. Nothing else needed.

Users 'covering their tracks' after saying silly things is a small occurrence, but it would be truly helpful for Original Posts of DIYs, and For Sale ads and the like for them to be able to update it over time to fix errors, add pics, change details / etc.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Any updates to this?
Just implement the same thing Facebook has with their posts. Every time you need need to edit a comment somewhere, it'll show that it was edited and people can see the history.
I keep finding myself reading through 20 pages of ancient threads and finding the best answers randomly posted, when OP could just update with something like: *BEST SOLUTION:

Here's the Facebook example:

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
This would of course involve the admins taking note of the users rather than using the board simply as a cash cow....
Moooooooo
Top Secret Cow.jpg

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
So will lazy admins do anything about this? ...anything?

I go into the for sale section with no excitement, even if it's something I've been wanting, because usually I HAVE TO READ THROUGH SEVEN F#@!%&G PAGES only to find out that the OP posted "Sold" on the 5th page when he/she could've just edited the original post or the title.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Agreed with changing the rule.

This is a community where members are known - not anonymous like craigslist. There is a bond of trust here and within the BMW community.

I highly doubt the feature of non editing the post is just so someone can't change a post to cover their tracks - if that was the case you could simply message an admin and they would pull up the original, unedited post.

The non editing feature is a hindrance.. from price changes in a FS post that need to be found on the 5th page, to deleting your email / pics / info so you don't get constant messages on items that have been gone for months, or correcting any information at all.

Editing is a very useful feature.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts